MJ's little flock

A lovely pose from Edie!

IMG_2023-05-30-17-08-18-027.jpg

She wanted to make sure everybody could see her wattles ok.

How are all your chickens doing RC?
Awww - thanks for asking MJ.
The one I was most worried about was Eli. She was the one laying monster sized eggs who then had some kind of neurological event and immediately went broody (it felt like those were related but maybe it was just a coincidence).
Anyway, there have been lots of developments in her situation - mostly good - maybe all good. I literally just posted an update on her so will link it here.
I find her current behavior fascinating and very endearing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-26888027

Awww - thanks for asking MJ.
The one I was most worried about was Eli. She was the one laying monster sized eggs who then had some kind of neurological event and immediately went broody (it felt like those were related but maybe it was just a coincidence).
Anyway, there have been lots of developments in her situation - mostly good - maybe all good. I literally just posted an update on her so will link it here.
I find her current behavior fascinating and very endearing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-26888027
Yes, she's fascinating. A kindly aunty maybe? The little ones have a lot of trust in her, so whatever they've been discussing has been very helpful to everyone involved.

And it's nice to see so many black chickens at your house. I remember how much you like them.

Yes, she's fascinating. A kindly aunty maybe? The little ones have a lot of trust in her, so whatever they've been discussing has been very helpful to everyone involved.

And it's nice to see so many black chickens at your house. I remember how much you like them.
Yes. More Aunty than mother. But the kids do totally trust her - they scatter when they see Bernie (which is all right and proper!) and run to Eli's side. Eli then leads them off somewhere and they sit together. Then at other times Eli is out scratching up stuff with Babs and Bernie and leaving the kids to their own devices.
After this evening, I am now 100% certain she talks to them when they all go to bed until they quiet down and go to sleep.
:love

I guess I shouldn't really be surprised that chickens have complex relationships that are not restricted to their equivalent of a nuclear family. I already know they have sophisticated social dynamics, and I have a gender-fluid lead hen, so why not an involved Aunty?!

Ugh. My PA couldn't be more uninterested in her work, illiterate, and lazy. She's literally sitting on a pile of work.

View attachment 3523674

She is a love even if she is sitting on a pile of work.
At least she isn't flinging it around the room and chewing it up like someone I could name.

Back
Top Bottom