MJ's little flock

Yes. More Aunty than mother. But the kids do totally trust her - they scatter when they see Bernie (which is all right and proper!) and run to Eli's side. Eli then leads them off somewhere and they sit together. Then at other times Eli is out scratching up stuff with Babs and Bernie and leaving the kids to their own devices.
After this evening, I am now 100% certain she talks to them when they all go to bed until they quiet down and go to sleep.
:love

I guess I shouldn't really be surprised that chickens have complex relationships that are not restricted to their equivalent of a nuclear family. I already know they have sophisticated social dynamics, and I have a gender-fluid lead hen, so why not an involved Aunty?!
Absolutely!

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure nuclear family is a human construct rarely observed in nature. Plovers couple for life and I think there are some other species too, but they're a tiny minority. Chickens seem to have a sort of village approach to interpersonal relationships.

Absolutely!

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure nuclear family is a human construct rarely observed in nature. Plovers couple for life and I think there are some other species too, but they're a tiny minority. Chickens seem to have a sort of village approach to interpersonal relationships.
I find ‘village approach’ a very helpful way to think about it. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom