MJ's little flock

It should be interesting to see how she gets on with the base.
Sometimes they can dry out and the edges collapse. The humidity the hen contains when sitting can be enough to prevent this happening. A light mist with a plant mister might help if the nest is too dry.
I'll mist it once a day at first and see how it holds up.

It should be interesting to see how she gets on with the base.
Sometimes they can dry out and the edges collapse. The humidity the hen contains when sitting can be enough to prevent this happening. A light mist with a plant mister might help if the nest is too dry.
Having now thought about it, because it's very sandy it might hold its shape better than other substrates. It might not need misting. But it will be very dry.

There's a temptation to give her a few fertile eggs now that the run is set up properly.

Another factor is that I can't let Janet struggle on like she does. She's in penguin pose more than she's out of it. It's getting very near time to say goodbye.

So a clutch may be well-timed.

Having now thought about it, because it's very sandy it might hold its shape better than other substrates. It might not need misting. But it will be very dry.

There's a temptation to give her a few fertile eggs now that the run is set up properly.

Another factor is that I can't let Janet struggle on like she does. She's in penguin pose more than she's out of it. It's getting very near time to say goodbye.

So a clutch may be well-timed.
It's hard watching the senior hens one has come to know become ill and die.
:hugs

Here's a puzzle for your weekends! 50 pieces of gorgeousness.

https://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=37c2deca9153

IMG_2023-11-16-19-11-25-923.jpg

The early evening sky from the picnic table.
Hi friends. I hope MJ doesn’t mind, but I just wanted to share something I achieved today. It’s been two years in the making but I was awarded my black belt in Jishukan today. There’s been blood, sweat and tears (and more than a little bruising) but today I earned the title ‘Shodan’.

View attachment 3680942

And here is some chicken tax:

View attachment 3680943
Congratulations, Lozzy!

Hi friends. I think I need to come back to this thread. I see most of my old friends here, and I can’t keep up on the faster moving threads. I miss you all. So sorry I no longer know your tribes, but I am happy to get to know them again.

As for my girls, I am down to seven. There have been no new chicks the last three years so the youngest two girls are almost 3 1/2. Bridge will be eight this February! She said having an issue with one leg I hope she can get through it.

I don’t like this time of year where the chickens don’t get any ranging time during the work week. I miss them.

Hi friends. I think I need to come back to this thread. I see most of my old friends here, and I can’t keep up on the faster moving threads. I miss you all. So sorry I no longer know your tribes, but I am happy to get to know them again.

As for my girls, I am down to seven. There have been no new chicks the last three years so the youngest two girls are almost 3 1/2. Bridge will be eight this February! She said having an issue with one leg I hope she can get through it.

I don’t like this time of year where the chickens don’t get any ranging time during the work week. I miss them.
8 is amazing! Does she seem elderly or middle aged?

If I recall, you and I both work full-time, so I know what you mean about not being able to keep up with the faster threads. People tell me to just skip over the posts, but that's not who I am. I prefer to honour others by reading properly, at the bare minimum click a react, and when time allows, I prefer to actually chip in to a conversation. Those things are just not possible on fast moving threads.

Hopefully this one will stay slow.

A

And the hens at my place are the four old girls who you might remember. Mary, Janet, Ivy and Peggy.

The ones you might not know about are the two young ones Katie and Edie, and a river flood refugee Christa.

Only Mary, Ivy, Katie and Edie lay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom