MM Sick Chicks Official Diagnosis In...

MNKris

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2007
The official diagnosis is AE. The diagnosis was extreme and obvious in my 10 birds according to the VDL at the U of MN.

Tested
Hatched on 2/9/08
Tested Positive, all standards size
Buff Rocks
Araucana (EEs)
Partridge Cochins
Blue Cochins

Hatched 3/1/08
Tested Positive, all standards size
Buff Rocks
Araucana (EEs)
Partridge Cochins
Blue Cochins

AE is a reportable disease in MN and The MN Dept of Animal Health and MM have been/will be notified.

edited to fix spelling errors.

Last edited:
Kris
thanks for posting your results,
I'm thinking I will get the same results.

Have there been suggestions on how you should proceed with the chicks you have? future chicks etc?

CS

PS
I'm expecting the same dx - just waiting....
the questions pressing on me now.
1 - how long can chicks exposed or sick/recovering shed virus?
2 - how long does the virus say active in the environment?

thanks...

Last edited:
Quote:
Just what everyone else has already said. As you should always do, and as we did, keep birds separated, chicks under 8 weeks are most at risk. I would have been more than crushed if I wou would have lost my BC and Wheaton Marans chicks.

Once infected, and survived, the birds are immune and after they are over the illness they will not pass it on. Healed hens will pass good antibodies onto their chicks to prevent another outbreak. Because you have infected birds, it is not a reason to destroy healthy ones.

Most importantly, in my case, my vet said "THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT". It has nothing to do with how I took care of these chicks. Chicks may heal, but likely will not thrive. I am going to try keep "Tard", the partridge cochin with mental problems alive and there is a Cuckoo that I am going to try also. The others I am going to have husband destroy.

I am so sorry you all are having to deal with this and losing chicks.
sad.png

I am curius, is MM compensating for the testing, etc?

Thanks for your post,
when I get home from some appts later today I'm going to strip everything down, put the chicks in a crate. clean, clean, clean and spray things down with Virkon.

the one BIG error I made early on is that I composted the litter from the first 7 days with the chicks before I had moved them to a bigger brooder.
since then the litter has gone into the trash. Our trash goes do an incinerator that produces electricity so I feel it is a good place to dispose of the contaminated litter.

thanks again,
CS

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom