MM Sick Chicks Official Diagnosis In...

From Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary, 18th Edition

Encephalomyelitis: Acute inflammation of the brain and spinal cord.
Acute disseminated e: An acute disorder of the brain and spinal cord due to causes such as vaccination or acute exanthema.
Benign myalgic e: An epidemic disease of unknown etiology marked by influenza-like symptoms, severe pain, and muscular weakness.

Last edited:
Just talked to my vet. UW is doing full cultures before they say what it is. This could take another week or so. The bacteria cultures all came back lower or within normal ranges for brooder chicks.
She is under the belief that the chicks that show NO signs should be kept. I am not a commercial grower, a 10% drop in eggs won't hurt me all I want is naturally healthy chickens. The 6 MM chicks that I still have have shown no signs, not even a droopy tail. In fact, the only BLRW left is second in the pecking order of 29, pretty good I think.

I forgot who asked, but my chicks, according to the shipping label, were hatched 2/22, I received them 2/25.
(sorry forgot spellcheck)

Last edited:
Thanks to those who posted and those who sent PMs saying "thanks". Also thanks to PennySue for posting those two links - everyone should read them.

The rest has been deleted by me.

Last edited:
I plan to get mine out to the barn this weekend. Outdoors might be hard right now, the snow is over the chicks head.
I'd like to pass on a little story of natures balance.
Our neighbor thought any fox is a bad fox, so he started shooting them. The following year his barn was infested with corn rats.
We had fox in our back also. Instead of killing them, I let them be. I had a small flock of renegade farm chickens, a real tough group. I notice a hen that started looking a little sickly. They were all out hunting and pecking when I saw the fox. Before I could scare her off, the fox ran up, grabbed the sick hen and took off. The amazing thing is the fox never bothered my hens before or after this. Yes I lost a hen, but that fox feed her young the way nature intended. And I never have any rats.
Working with nature seems to be easier, cheaper and better in the long run.
I agree with Ruth. Doctors almost killed me. I haven't seen one in 5+ years. My oldest son died after a 9 year battle with cancer and I have come to the conclusion, Cancer is a man-made disease. Antibiotics and vaccines for common viruses ( like Chicken pox) are killing us. What is really interesting is some natural viruses actually create immunity to some cancers. And almost all cancers are related to viruses.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies.
wink.png

I only have 3 left now
sad.png
out of 27. The 3 left are doing quite well. A black giant, Dark cornish and RIR. I am hoping these boys will stay alive. I did get a new shipment from another hatchery, I keeping them in an area the other chicks had never been. They are getting really big, and I have lost NONE!! all arrived alive and well!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom