MM Sick Chicks Official Diagnosis In...

Quote:
Can I ask? What do they do when you report it? Do they just want to know about it? Do they require you kill your entire flock? Just wondering what happens when you report. And how do you find out what your state laws are on the matter?

Quote:
Look up "your state" Dept of Agriculture and it will have a list of reportable diseases.

Last edited:
A quick question, every single bird on our 48 acres (including Oxi, my tiel) has been exposed to this, but I only have four showing symtoms and 1 is healthy enough to go outside. I was planning to turn the grow out pen into a pen for my ducklings, which have also been exposed. Is there any danger of them becoming infected as badly as the orginal chicks were? I've already told myself If the three inside get worse or show no improvement in the next month....excuse this...off with their heads!
somad.gif

Several of the posters that have put up their Necropsy results have said they were told it's reportable in their area by the lab or vet involved. You need to find out for your state. Phone the agriculture office or an avian vet. It would be so simple if it were a national program but apparently it's not.

I do not work for the USDA, I'm in Canada, and I was a backyard chicken owner in the AI outbreak of 2003. I learned alot in that and I'm trying to pass this on to you. People that did not report got heavy fines, and those that did not obey the restrictions on poultry in the outbreak caused the commercial industry to lobby for backyard flocks to all be culled. They won in the short term and many flocks were depopulated. We lobbied back and by showing we could be responsible and follow good biosecurity and isolation we had no new restrictions after the outbreak than before.

What they will do when you report depends on what your state program is and what you have done so far. IF you have the sick birds in isolation and good bio-security going they might see that better than if they are in contact with others, that was sure true of AI, places without isolation were depopulated right away. They may just ask you to isolate and not sell till they clear you, or they might bring in free vaccine and do everyone in the neighborhood.

I am currently waiting on a call from the CFIA for the same reason. There are some of these chicks in Canada and the question has been asked what our program is. It is a national program, but there are regional offices and sometimes latitude.

I can't imagine what it would be like to go through a bird flu outbreak or scare.

Lucky for us with affected chicks from McMurray we are NOT dealing with Bird flu.
it looks like what we are dealing with is AE.
it has different transmission and different risks to foul and people.
Statements that have been made that exposed chicks will be carriers, or that you can never get it off your property as long as you have "carriers" are not true.

I hope we can find a way to stick to the facts.

Also I should be clearer in my posts.
I do not have any more than 5 chicks that had neurological signs but I have LOTS Of chicks with bad stools - and the vet told me that was also a possible indicator of AE.

Still waiting for the necropsy lab results
CS

Back
Top Bottom