Mmm who loves young coconuts!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by silkiechicken, Nov 28, 2009.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are so good! Bought a case of 9 for just 8 bucks! Couldn't pass it up. Whack open the top, poke in a straw and enjoy. And as a final treat, get a spoon and dig out the mildly sweet jelly-like meat!

[​IMG]

I'd get a durian but they are so pricy. Mmmm....

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    [​IMG] We have a westie named coconut! [​IMG] I tried to trim up her hair... the kids have been calling her Uncle Fugly!

3. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oh, YUM! Uh... my first thought, though, was "I bet chickens would really like that, too!"

Ummmm... Help me? [​IMG]

4. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I am allergic to coconut [​IMG]

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I was lucky. Growing up in Key west we had several trees in our yard. I loved eating the jelly from the barely ripe ones. I also loved the milk. Dont much care for plain coconut though. Dont like the texture.

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Love coconut.. I woulda bought that deal too. I never see them around here... well sometimes but they seem old.... not sure the milk would be good. where did you buy them at? I used to live on Guam and would just pick my own ... that was the best! That and starfruit!!!

PS Love coconut the dog too [​IMG]

7. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:Oh, YUM! Uh... my first thought, though, was "I bet chickens would really like that, too!"

Ummmm... Help me? [​IMG]

Why does someone need to help you? There is nothing wrong with chicken brain 24/7

8. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Coconut . . . yum . . . but durian? We bought one because we thought people were exaggerating about the smell. Silly us. Thank goodness the nice lady at the asian market told us to cut it open outside, or we all would have suffocated. We had a ton of people over to try it, and the consensus on the taste description was sweat socks mixed with garlic. It's such a fascinating fruit, though, and I thought the seeds were so neat, like li'l smokies.

What I'm really craving right now is jicama . . . mmmm.

9. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    That was a fantastic buy! I would have gone for it myself, love coconut juice.

...JP

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think I'll stick with the food coconut. :p

Got the box at 99 ranch market. It looked like a fresh shipment as the husks were all still white and moist without mold or pink bacteria/fungus growing. The chickens tend to ignore coconut for some reason. Just not their flavor I guess.

Duran is one of those acquired taste things. Mmm soo good even though it is pretty stinky. LOL Not a party food for an American audience, that's for sure. Maybe it's the blue cheese of the fruit world. Mmmm blue cheese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by