MO woman faces charges over dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to log in so that I can leave a comment -

I own dogs and I own livestock. Personally, she is VERY lucky that her dogs are still alive. It is legal in the state of MO to shoot any animal that is attacking livestock. The fact that she is amused by the idea of her dogs roaming the neighborhood is bad enough even if all they do is annoy others with their barking. To kill someone else's pet is a serious matter.
Just because you don't think a chicken is a pet doesn't mean that someone else doesn't love them. Some have cats. Some have dogs. Some have other animals. We all love them and deserve the right for our pets to be safe on their own property. That includes being safe from roaming dogs.

From a legal standpoint, it's very interesting that she was charged with animal abuse seemingly by proxy. Typically, people don't get charged with animal abuse unless they sic their dog on another animal. And cats are nature's serial killers yet people let them roam free and kill, kill, kill, torture, torture, torture, and then do it some more.

Since this seems like a tricky situation, I looked up Missouri's statute:

Quote:
Both (1) and (2) require the act to be intentional (urging the dogs to attack the chickens or knowing they will attack them when let out). At most, she was reckless because she knew it was likely they would kill other animals but let them out anyway.

But then you come to (3) and since the dogs weren't let out accidentally but intentionally the requisite mens rea is present. And the act is merely failing to provide "adequate control."

So they may be charging her for inadequately controlling her dogs rather than hurting an animal by proxy.

A neighbors chihuahua dug under the fence(into my coop) few yrs back and nearly killed my head hen Shirley. Ripped all the skin and feathers completely from her back. The remaining skin hung free. I was very upset and convinced this bird would die. However Her nest mate Betty Protected her, Kept her warm in the nest by blocking the opening with her own body for weeks! and showed me how special these birds can truly be.
hugs.gif

Just another example of the attitude of so many dog owners. "It's JUST a chicken". Imagine what her response would have been if the chicken had been able to kill her precious 5lb dog?! And especially if the chicken owner said "What, it's just a little yapper."

I'm don't there is any way to make people like that learn that they need to respect other people and their pets and property. No matter what punishment is handed down she is always going to say "All this over a CHICKEN!" I do hope she at least gets some serious fines out of this.

Whats so hard about keeping your dogs under control? Keep them in a kennel or fix the fence.. >.> I hate when ppl dont do anything about their loose dogs.
somad.gif

cafarmgirl- I thought the same thing, would she be laughing if her chihuahua got eaten by a bigger dog and the owner laughed it off and said it wasn't a big deal because it was a toy dog? I highly doubt it.

I hope they rehome the dogs with someone who will actually take care of them.

Well she did offer to pay for the chicken. I can tell you right now. If my dogs which I have several of got out and killed my neighbors chickens for one I would understand if he shot them. But on the other hand if he calls me screaming and cussing I would probably react the way she did. Should the dogs be confined yes. But Jail time and $1000 fine come on people be realistic. She offered to pay to replace the bird. She lives out in the county where in most there are no leash laws. That is why alot of folks live there. Because of cases like this we have to pay that much more to house inmates because stuff like this ties up the court room

1.Warn the dog owner that the dogs are pestering

2. Protect your property/livestock

3.Tell dog owner dogs have been dealt with and she still owes your for Chickens

But we get space wasted in news papers and money wasted in the court system why? Because everyone loves the drama.

I love my Chickens like I do my dogs. But I'm not wasting everyones time trying to get someones life ruined because of something that could be dealt with without the legal system.

I see it this way. If I care enough about my dogs to keep them safe and sound and not worry that they are lose... Why cant someone else be like that? If I am careful and make sure my dogs arent running around loose or unsupervised.. is it really that hard for someone else?

Just like my chickens.. I take very good care of them. I secure my yard for both my chickens and dogs.

But in the town I live in.. ITs like either no one cares for their dogs.. or idk. Everyones dogs are always running around in the streets loose. :s

flawed, normally I would agree but she admits that she was holding back her laughter the entire time. You think that the guy couldn't hear that in her voice? And, from the sounds of it, it's probably not the first time that there have been complaints made to her about her dogs.
------
“I might have said it with a little smile because I thought it was asinine and that I was holding back (from laughing),” she said.
That only upset Gamblin further, she said.
“He’s still cussing and screaming, saying I wasn’t taking it serious enough,” McDonald said. “So eventually I hung up on him.”
----------

No, I wouldn't want the money. I would want the woman to take the matter seriously. How many times do people here fume over "it's just a chicken"? This woman found the idea that her dogs could do it to be humorous? She would have given him the money and laughed all the way home at the idea that her dogs were killers. Then she would have let them out to roam and it would have happened again. At least this way it's going to make a lasting impression on her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom