MO woman faces charges over dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChickChickChicky

Songster
8 Years
Dec 22, 2011
Greater Kansas City, MO
This lady own two chihuahua's that she apparently let run loose all the time, apparently in a somewhat rural setting. She got complaints about the dogs before but seemed to find them "humorous", as she thought her precious dogs too small (and likely too cute) to bother anyone else. She's not laughing now because I guess the judge she's in front of isn't laughing. I don't think jail is appropriate, but I for sure think she should pay the maximum fine plus restitution.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/23/3673145/a-chickens-death-leads-to-criminal.html
"Emotion overcomes Joy C. McDonald each time she pauses to think about what her future might hold.
She could lose her job, her small rented home and custody of her three children — all because her two little dogs supposedly scared a neighbor’s elderly chicken to death.
According to McDonald, the penned bird apparently suffered a heart attack when her two Chihuahuas barked at it while running loose in their rural Lafayette County neighborhood.
A chicken heart attack?
Actually, court records accuse the dogs of killing the chicken but don’t describe how. The bird’s owner refused to recount his version of events to The Star. The Lafayette County Sheriff’s Office released only the department’s incident log, which confirms deputies were called to investigate April 5. And the county prosecutor is saying little because the case remains unsettled.
“There are photos with a poor dead chicken and feathers everywhere,” said Lafayette County Prosecutor Kellie Wingate Campbell.
The 29-year-old McDonald faces a misdemeanor charge of animal abuse for not controlling her Chihuahuas — Peaches and Domino — that together weigh about 5 pounds, or about as much as the average chicken sold for slaughter in Missouri last year.
If convicted, McDonald could be sent to the county jail for a year or be fined as much as $1,000, or face both penalties.
“I think this is asinine,” said McDonald, who lives just east of Odessa. “I just can’t wrap my mind around it. All of this because of a dead chicken.”
Her ordeal began with an unsettling phone call McDonald said she received from her angry neighbor, George Gamblin, in early April.
He called “screaming and cussing that his chicken was dead because my dog was barking at them,” McDonald recalled. “He said my dogs were giving him a headache.”
McDonald said she asked Gamblin if he was sure that her dogs were the culprits.
“I might have said it with a little smile because I thought it was asinine and that I was holding back (from laughing),” she said.
That only upset Gamblin further, she said.
“He’s still cussing and screaming, saying I wasn’t taking it serious enough,” McDonald said. “So eventually I hung up on him.”
According to court records, a sheriff’s deputy was summoned to the Gamblins’ residence in the 9800 block of U.S. 40.
Gamblin led the deputy to the chicken enclosure, where they found a white, lifeless chicken sprawled on the ground. Gamblin told the deputy that his wife “loves the chickens,” which are her pets. She had heard noises in their pen and saw the two dogs inside it, court records say. She chased them with a stick, but they escaped through the fence.
McDonald told authorities she had offered to give Gamblin $30 as compensation. But according to court records, Gamblin turned it down and insisted on pursuing criminal charges.
Her dogs may be playful at times but are not cold-blooded killers, said McDonald, who now has an outside kennel for her dogs.
Campbell said the animal abuse charge applies when people allow their animals to run loose and cause a nuisance to other people.
“When you see this kind of case, especially in a rural county, there are other contributing factors,” Campbell said.
Campbell didn’t elaborate because the case is working its way through the county courts system.
Gamblin refused to give specifics and didn’t return several phone calls from a reporter or answer his door when a reporter knocked.
But in one brief phone conversation he did say, “All I did was make a complaint with the sheriff and they turned it over to the prosecuting attorney and that’s all I know.”
The value of a pet chicken is unclear, but the average chicken sold for slaughter in Missouri last year brought $2.62, according to data kept by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
McDonald said she has owned Peaches, a white and brown female, for almost six years. Domino, a black and white male, has been around for almost two years. Since the incident, McDonald has built a pen to house the dogs.
An irritating bark is part of a Chihuahua’s DNA.
Chickens, on the other hand, are fragile creatures and are susceptible to heart attacks or collapsing from stress, said Jeff Firman, a professor of poultry science at the University of Missouri in Columbia.
“I don’t know if I would call it a heart attack, but if you had a dog chasing around a chicken and the dog never touches the chicken, it could die from just being stressed out and running around,” Firman said.
The only way to find out how the chicken died is to conduct an autopsy, he said.
“Of course, nobody does unless they (chickens) die in big groups,” he said.
McDonald said she appeared in court in June. She expected to pay a fine after pleading guilty. That quickly changed when the judge insisted she fully understand the charge.
The rest of the story is likely to play out next month when McDonald returns to the Lafayette County Courthouse.
“I thought it was a little humorous until I found what the charges were, and now it isn’t so funny anymore.” McDonald said."

I think she should be fined maybe $50.00 at most, if this is a repeat offense. She has three children to raise for Pete's sake. I think it would be cruel to put her in jail for even an hour over something like this. The chicken owner has JUST AS MUCH responsibility in this for not protecting the chicken. 2 little chihuahuas can not jump fences or chew through hardware cloth.

Last edited:
I think she should be fined maybe $50.00 at most, if this is a repeat offense. She has three children to raise for Pete's sake. I think it would be cruel to put her in jail for even an hour over something like this. The chicken owner has JUST AS MUCH responsibility in this for not protecting the chicken. 2 little chihuahuas can not jump fences or chew through hardware cloth.

You must not have read the article. The dogs were INSIDE of the chicken's pen and there were feathers everywhere, so the dogs did more than just bark & chase (plus this was not the first instance of the dogs being PITA's to neighbors). Ok, if some drunk driver comes along and wipes out your family, are you ok with turning the other cheek because the drunk driver has kids? The ability to procreate doesn't give anyone a pass in my book. This gal probably gives the same care and attention to her kids that she does to her dogs, for pete's sake. "Go and out play, junior, and be back in 10 hours". As a taxpayer I wouldn't mind footing her food and board for a day or two to send her a message, and I think the fine she gets (which can help offset the cost of housing her up for a day or two) should HURT. She is a clueless, uncaring ***** who STILL YET can't understand what all the fuss is about.

I honestly think the chicken owner should not be allowed to have chickens if he can't build a coop to protect them. Geez, if 2 chihuahua got the chicken it would have just been a matter of time before a coon got them. The chihuahua just got there first. I want to fine him. It's like leaving candy on your porch on Halloween and getting mad when the kids take it.

Guess it's ok with you if the neighbor's dog comes and craps in your yard, digs up your garden, barks non-stop outside your window, chases and attacks your animals and kids.... after all, you're INVITING all those things by having a yard. GET REAL, people have a right to peaceable enjoyment of their own property without some neighbor's animal(s) coming and messing with it, ANY of it!

Last edited:
Joan1708, I don't get where you're coming from. Ok, maybe he should have had a stronger coop, but those dogs were on HIS property. The owner of the dogs had been asked previously to stop letting her dogs run wild. By your analogy, if something could have been prevented - an opportunistic thief robs your house - if you didn't have a top-of-the-line alarm system and Fort Knox style locks, it's your own fault for not making it secure enough. Let the thief go, you should have done better?

I'm tired of people blaming the victim. Many people have lost chickens to predators, that doesn't make them bad chicken owners. Some choose to free-range, are they allowed to have chickens in your world? If you have a dog, keep it under control and on YOUR property. My two know their boundaries, but many of the dogs in our neighborhood do not. That's why I carry protection.

I think she should be fined, and her dogs should be taken away. She waited until she was charged, and her dogs caused another animal's death, before she felt obligated to keep them confined to her property. It speaks volumes about the kind of pet owner she is, and it has a lot of implications as to the type of mother she'd be also.

My problem here is with the reportage. The Star reporter shows a pretty strong editorial bend in a piece presented as straight news. His sympathy for the dog owner is reinforced in statements such as, "A chicken heart attack?" set off as a separate paragraph and listing the average price of a slaughter chicken. I wonder how Mr. Rice would write if loose dogs chased and killed his cat or hamster or iguana.

I live in the country, and have a similar problem, not as destructive, but still annoying. My neighbor's dog has decided that the center of my driveway is the best place for his morning constitutional.

Last edited:
Letting your dogs out to go "play with their friends" all day is just being lazy. i'm sure she would rather her dogs poo in other people's yards where she doesn't have to clean up. We have pretty stringent leash laws for dogs, and i suspect there are leash laws where that woman lives.

Cats are considered "free roaming" in our county, and we have had problems with our neighbor's cats coming into our yard and scaring our chickens - to the point where one broke her beak running in fear. Our neighbor's attitude was the same as one on this thread - it's all our fault. Our neighbors told us we should build stronger pens and all my animals should be in pens. What??? So their cats can enjoy our yard? And when i posted about that beak-breaking incident on this board, i got one person blaming me, saying it was my fault for not keeping my chickens safe. Can we please all stop blaming the victims here?

Bottom line is, this is my property - keep your animals off it. And i think that woman is just atrocious for being so lackadaisical about what her dogs did. i'm sure a heart-felt apology would have averted any problem. i have no sympathy for whatever penance the court doles out.

Honestly, I wish we'd keep the discussion to the actual subject, the dogs roaming loose, causing terror in a neighbor who is afraid of dogs as well as a chicken's death, not the woman's entire life. It's easy to get off on tangents. There are folks who are PhDs who move the rural areas and still have the same notions and cause the same damage with their dogs.

Last edited:
Well she did offer to pay for the chicken. I can tell you right now. If my dogs which I have several of got out and killed my neighbors chickens for one I would understand if he shot them. But on the other hand if he calls me screaming and cussing I would probably react the way she did. Should the dogs be confined yes. But Jail time and $1000 fine come on people be realistic. She offered to pay to replace the bird. She lives out in the county where in most there are no leash laws. That is why alot of folks live there. Because of cases like this we have to pay that much more to house inmates because stuff like this ties up the court room

1.Warn the dog owner that the dogs are pestering

2. Protect your property/livestock

3.Tell dog owner dogs have been dealt with and she still owes your for Chickens

But we get space wasted in news papers and money wasted in the court system why? Because everyone loves the drama.

I love my Chickens like I do my dogs. But I'm not wasting everyones time trying to get someones life ruined because of something that could be dealt with without the legal system.
mabye you would rather be like me a man with 2 dogs and a fenced yard in new mexico always let his dogs out and they attacked my dog who was out on a chain just long enough to go potty. they punctured my dogs lung..we had a huge vet bill and the vet had to reinflate his lung and then it got infected so another vet bill and the sheriff's dept. would not even charge him because he had a fence and we did not. we were renting at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom