Mobile homes & Modular..... what types are the best for the money

Quote:
I can tell you this much about modular homes, prefabricated homes, and mobile homes (my dad used to work for a mobilehome builder/manufacturer when I was a kid, plus I have had numerous other first-hand friends and acquaintances in the business). They actually have much, much stricter guidelines and codes to follow than traditional construction these days, and the vast majority of prefab/modular/mobilehomes being built for the last 15 years or so will probably outlast traditionally built homes from the same time period.

If I could, I'd buy one without n'ary a second thought. In fact, much like you, if we were in a position to purchase a home, both of us would prefer a little piece of land and a mobilehome over a traditional "house".

Last edited:
i love this information! We get tornadoes a lot and I want to build a home soon. I have been looking at prefab homes or kit houses. what do you think of kit houses?

also my land is hard to get too, can they work with me on getting the home there? or bring pieces of the home and then assemble it on site?

When we were looking to build in the country we were looking at modulars. We were looking at a triple wide that was 2400 sf. It was going to be placed on a walkout foundation that would be another 2400 sf. Cost of the modular was around 140k with the upgrades we wanted. foundation, power, septic and a 3 car garage was another 80k, 85 acres was 120k. Three sides were fenced. I would hate to fence 85 acres.

We were unable to get a construction loan and went with a stick built 3400 sf walkout on 8 acres. it was 300k and the financing was no problem. At the time we were a little disappointed. We love our stick built though. The only problem I have with modulars is that you can tell the difference between them and a stick built unless your stick built is a cracker box style. Even with a garage added on and a entryway roofline they still have the rectangular shape. They make some very nice ones though and they come with 2x6 outside walls standard. They still have stupid water heater, doors, door knobs and other stuff though.

We have a guy down the road that put in a triple wide on a walkout foundation with a full length deck in back and a full porch in front, He also built a 6 car garage at aright angle to the house and it has a 2nd story. If I hadn't seen them put it on the foundation I would have a hard time telling it wasn't stick built.

Modulars do save a lot of money per SF. There's still a lot of ambiguity towards them though. Resale is easier with a stick built. Of course these days about the only homes that sell are foreclosures.

Quote:
Very good information here. ....just some random thoughts not an expert by any means.

I am not in the business but I did quite a bit of my own research on the subject. I am also a mechanical designer. One of the advantages of buying a prefab weather its modular or manufactured is you can choose the finishes floor coverings and window coverings for your home. The homes are built in factories where the walls are tooled up and built within a stable environment. If you like a certain model but you need the floorplan flipped over so the front door is on the opposite side no problem. If you want to reduce the size of a room in order to expand another easy to do. Door position and orientation simple are all simple changes they can make.

With regard to financing. One of the things I came across is something called a Wraparound loan. Starts out like a construction loan where you buy your land and your home and hire the contractor to do the work of installing the home. Once the job is complete and the home passes inspection then FHA covers the first loan as a mortgage. I am in California though and the last time I checked into a wraparound loan was in 1985. I am certain changes have happened in those years.

There is a difference between a park home and a residential home here in California. A park home wont have eves on the sides adjacent to other Modulars. A residential home that would go down on an R1 lot will have eves and a Shingle roof. It will have siding or stucco as well as be set down on a foundation and fastened in place. And if you are putting it on an R1 lot they require a garage to be built on at the same time. Those are stick built. In the country on your own acreage they don't care but if you are in the burbs the idea is to have the home look seamless with the others.

I too have been told that it is a wash price wise between getting one built by a good contractor and buying a decent manufactured home. There is some difference though in the amount of time. Yeah they can build it in fifteen days but Try to get all your permits in fifteen days. Then there is the home inspection before you are allowed to move in. With a modular the interior construction is inspected in the factory. I haven't bought a modular home yet but I suspect the site inspection can happen while your modular is being built.

Oh and a trailer will have an axel and you will have to pay DMV fees every year. With my trailer it was about 30 bucks a year. Nice place double wide 70s Shag carpet paper print Paneling you couldnt get wet. But it was cool in the summer and warm in the winter and had a good lay out for parties. Two bed Two bath and a sun room. It was an excellent starter place.

perchie.girl :

Quote:
Very good information here. ....just some random thoughts not an expert by any means.

I am not in the business but I did quite a bit of my own research on the subject. I am also a mechanical designer. One of the advantages of buying a prefab weather its modular or manufactured is you can choose the finishes floor coverings and window coverings for your home. The homes are built in factories where the walls are tooled up and built within a stable environment. If you like a certain model but you need the floorplan flipped over so the front door is on the opposite side no problem. If you want to reduce the size of a room in order to expand another easy to do. Door position and orientation simple are all simple changes they can make.

With regard to financing. One of the things I came across is something called a Wraparound loan. Starts out like a construction loan where you buy your land and your home and hire the contractor to do the work of installing the home. Once the job is complete and the home passes inspection then FHA covers the first loan as a mortgage. I am in California though and the last time I checked into a wraparound loan was in 1985. I am certain changes have happened in those years.

There is a difference between a park home and a residential home here in California. A park home wont have eves on the sides adjacent to other Modulars. A residential home that would go down on an R1 lot will have eves and a Shingle roof. It will have siding or stucco as well as be set down on a foundation and fastened in place. And if you are putting it on an R1 lot they require a garage to be built on at the same time. Those are stick built. In the country on your own acreage they don't care but if you are in the burbs the idea is to have the home look seamless with the others.

I too have been told that it is a wash price wise between getting one built by a good contractor and buying a decent manufactured home. There is some difference though in the amount of time. Yeah they can build it in fifteen days but Try to get all your permits in fifteen days. Then there is the home inspection before you are allowed to move in. With a modular the interior construction is inspected in the factory. I haven't bought a modular home yet but I suspect the site inspection can happen while your modular is being built.

Oh and a trailer will have an axel and you will have to pay DMV fees every year. With my trailer it was about 30 bucks a year. Nice place double wide 70s Shag carpet paper print Paneling you couldnt get wet. But it was cool in the summer and warm in the winter and had a good lay out for parties. Two bed Two bath and a sun room. It was an excellent starter place.

I actually had floor plans drawn up for the whole triple wide. All they cared about was that you didn't breach a joint between the sections. It was a nice floor plan. I've never found a pre built stick house that had a perfect floor plan for us.

I;m pretty sure that when we retire we will get a nice modular in a mobile home type park. It will have a foundation and be strapped down like a modular with a garage. They have places like that here in Colorado. Mostly retirement type places, so they have shuffle board and wheelchair trails instead of bicycle trails. 4' deep pools for swim aerobic classes. I can't wait.​

In our neck of the woods, if you are looking for cheap, mobile homes. Ken's friend just bought one in a park that strongly resembles a regular neighborhood, for $14,500. 2106 sq, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, 3/4 acre back yard. And in this city, weird as it is, you can have just about as many farm animals as you want depending on lot size.

Quote:
Awesome.... Here in CA some counties forbid mobile homes on your own property. San Diego is one of those. You can put a Modular but not a mobile home. Yet just cross the county line to Riverside and as long as its not an R1 lot you can go for it.

Back
Top Bottom