1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Model 846 Brower galvanized metal incubator. **Pictures**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quintinp, Feb 8, 2012.

1. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Well, this fan is mounted with bolts, so I left a gap between the insulation board and the fan. About 1/2 inch.

The turner is a Little Giant Egg turner. It is from my local feed store. I spent about $50 for it. They can be found on Ebay, sometimes Craigslist. They are sold where the Little Giant incubators are sold.

2. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I sure wish that you lived closer to me. I would pick them up in a heartbeat. I don't have the money to pick up from Colorado. They are pretty good incubators. I added a computer fan to mine though. I got about 97 to 101 temperature fluctuations. When I first saw this, I was not happy, but in the end, I ended up with 18 chicks out of 20 eggs, so I was pretty happy. I don't use it much anymore, mainly as I don't have a spare wafer for it, and that it only holds 1 egg turner.

3. bsawyer58

bsawyer58 New Egg

Jun 5, 2012
    I just bought one of these from Craigslist. It has two spare wafers and the original Instructions and parts list inside. Everything appears to be working so I would like to try it soon.

I've not done this before so any help is appreciated. I have 6 hens and get 4-5 eggs daily. Should I add the eggs to the incubator as I get them or should I collect them and add them all at one? Also, I work outside the home so turning 3 times per day could be a challenge. I could do 6 am, 6 pm and 10 pm, would this be sufficient or should I wait till I can get an electric turner?

Thanks for your help,

Bob
    West Tennessee

4. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Bob, Save up the eggs for about 7 days and set them all at once. That way they will all hatch together and be a lot easier. Your proposed turning schedule will work just fine.

5. JimnTer

JimnTer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    I remember my parents using one of those when I was a kid. They mostly used it for goose eggs, but I think they did chicken eggs in it a time or two as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they still have it tucked away in the attic somewhere. Back then we were only turning the eggs twice and had good results.

6. ScoutrerScott

ScoutrerScott New Egg

May 25, 2012
    Did the egg turner require modification to fit in the 846? What are the ideal temperature ranges for "still air" and "circulating air" incubators? Thanks for all you help. When I was a kid I made an incubator out of a styrofoam Pearl Beer ice chest and a nite-lite. My dad got a couple Browers after he saw how interested I was in the whole bird-thang.

7. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    What did y'all do with the 2 incubators?

With the fan, the air temperature using a sensitive digital thermometer with a probe, was fluctuating from 97 to 101. I hatched 18 chicks from 20 eggs. I had 10% humidity the first 18 days, and the last three days of incubation, I just put the eggs in my cooler hatcher with 70% humidity.

8. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    How much did you pay?

GREAT buy!

You would want to follow the advice of Dbcooper. Collect the eggs up to 10, (I never gather eggs past 7 days), making sure that you turn the eggs at least once a day until you have an abundance of eggs gathered.

I turn my eggs 2 times a day.

Once in the morning at 7 and in the evening, at 7 or 9.

Most people say that you shouldn't, but if you turn the eggs every 12 hours, you wont have a problem. People say that you should turn the eggs an odd amount of times a day, so the same side of the egg doesn't sit on it's side every night.

9. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Oh, yes the egg turner had to be cut down. The corner of the turner had to be cut down about 2 inches.

10. Kitty86

Kitty86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    I have one of these.. and mine seems to get to hot.. i don't know nothing about it and don't know how to adjust the temp can somebody help me.. i am having to use this one because my new Styrofoam one went out :( less then 1 month

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by