Modern Bantams anyone?

I just got my first Moderns this week-end! I have a small farm and have chickens of different breeds, I don't show, they are just pets. I ran across a few Moderns at a swap this past week-end and thought they were really neat! The first trio I saw were blues, of course I walked away and went I went back they were gone. I did manage to find another set of a roo and three hens, so I snatched them up. I don't know what color they are, will have to post pics. I thought they were just neat looking birds. One even layed an egg for me before I got home. The breeder said they were last year's chicks. In the incubator that egg goes!

the moderns do grow on you
smile.png

Yes..I've loved moderns ever since I saw them at my first show. Remind me of my Langshans sobi figured I'd try them out and see how they go. I love the largefowl but those are so hard to get ahold of and I'd hate to have an accident in the first go round with truly great stock.

The chirping has lessened somewhat. Still in awe at how small they are compared to my Langshans!

our first modern hatched
smile.png
. A red pyle out of my wifes pair...we have a couple OE blue brassy backs and a bantam shamo hatched as well...

Mine looks just like that one...but then it might also look just like a blue. Is there any way to tell the difference between blue and lemon blue before they feather out?

our red pyle chick came out yellow...? and I dont believe you can tell a lemon blue from a blue at that young an age, as the only difference is hackle, saddle, etc....and they dont get those in for a while

Quote:
You're right. You can't tell the difference until they start to get mature hackle feathers. I wish I could remember how old they were. Probably around 4 -6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom