Modern Game Bantam - Leg Injury Questions - not life threatning

chickenlady

Songster
12 Years
Aug 28, 2007
Stillwater, NJ
I just had some moderns shipped to me. The rooster that came seems to have a problem with one leg. It seems as though one hip is not 'attached' at the top like normal because it 'kicks' out to the side like it shouldn't. It seems to be 'free floating' He could probably make full circles with one hip where the other has normal movement. It almost seems to me like splay leg but I would have to guess he is at least 7-8 months old. Could a bird this old have splay leg? Is it fixable?

He can walk but because of the loose hip, his long leg crumbles at the knee making his knee hit the ground each time he steps. He falls alot also but does get around and eats and drinks.

Is it possible this is a dislocation due to shipping? It does NOT appear to hurt in any way at all. Just trying to figure out what it might be before I make my decision about him. Thanks for any info you can share.

I can try to get a picture but I'm not sure if you would be able to see what I am talking about.

Last edited:
I will try a couple pics for you. It is hard to explain this. In the first pic, the leg on the left is fine, the leg on the right is turned out to the right, I cannot rotate it to where it should be.

GeorgiaModerns0142.jpg

This last pic is him from behind (sorry about the butt shot) but you can see the leg on the left is bending over as it is crossing in front of the good leg. His knee then bends all the way to the floor and touches the floor as he walks. It is very hard to explain.

GeorgiaModerns0102.jpg

Back
Top Bottom