modern game chick questions

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
Hi all,

I had a chickenstock at my house a few weeks ago-My DD was gifted for her birthday 3 mordern game chicks-all fully feathered-tiny little creatures. Any hoo these guys have been living in a tote in my bathroom ever since-I want to put them down with the rest of the birds in a large breeder cage-they need more space and I need fresher air! SO since this is my first experience with them-how are they through Winter? They look so fragile and my DD adores them. They love to snuggle and talk up a storm. Are these kinda birds needing heating lamps and such or will they and can they produce enough heat between them to keep warm-temps get down to 20 below:-( I was thinking about putting like a large showbox or something in that cage filled wth fresh bedding for them to snuggle into to keep warm would this be enough??? any help is appreciated:) thank you

Hey Chickie, why didn't you just ask us? They need some sort of heat sourse. Since they don't have the fluff that other birds have, they can freeze. A 100 watt lightbulb is enough heat to keep them from freezing.

Does Mo still love them?

Quote:
barnie.gif
we all do! haha we hold them all the time as they are not skittish at all-as soon as you hold them they nestle down in your hand-I almost would like them to stay a house bird since there is only 3 of them:) but the smells bleah--If I can figure out something like in one of my breeder cages you saw at my house-the ones with the sliding tray for poopie-I might be able to talk Mark into it-IN MO'S ROOM!!!!

Quote:
barnie.gif
we all do! haha we hold them all the time as they are not skittish at all-as soon as you hold them they nestle down in your hand-I almost would like them to stay a house bird since there is only 3 of them:) but the smells bleah--If I can figure out something like in one of my breeder cages you saw at my house-the ones with the sliding tray for poopie-I might be able to talk Mark into it-IN MO'S ROOM!!!!

HAHA! In Mo's room sounds good! It is amaing how the ugly little buggers grow on you. I didn't think I would like them at all, but dang it all, they have grown on me. They are so docile and loving.

Quote:
barnie.gif

HAHA! In Mo's room sounds good! It is amaing how the ugly little buggers grow on you. I didn't think I would like them at all, but dang it all, they have grown on me. They are so docile and loving.

I searched the boards for Moder Game addicts and found this thread! i am addicted to these birds. I am nervous with winter coming however. I have a 5x7 insulated coop that also houses some cochins, a pair of silies, a few mixed breeds, 5 seramas and 3 LF EE's. Everyone seems to cuddle at night when they come in. Do you think that is enough heat for winter?? I am so nervous to put a heat lamo in there because of the risk of a fire and I cannot winter them inside. I did that with the seramas last winter and got really sick from the dust.

Sounds like as long as they roost together and the others keep them warm, they will be fine. It is only if they are housed alone that they need the extra heat.

Quote:
OK, I think they are all roosting together with the exce[ption of the silkies that cannot fly up to the roos bar. If it does get too cold, I may have to resort to hanging an 85 watt red floodlight in the coop in a corner for them. I am just so afraid of a fire!

Quote:
OK, I think they are all roosting together with the exce[ption of the silkies that cannot fly up to the roos bar. If it does get too cold, I may have to resort to hanging an 85 watt red floodlight in the coop in a corner for them. I am just so afraid of a fire!

Just make sure it is secured and isn't touching anything and it will be fine.

Quote:
barnie.gif

Some of the nicest hens --and roosters--that I ever had were some sort of modern game fowl mix. I'd guess that they were mostly modern game fowl with a bit of mutt chicken added in.
wink.png
Picked them up many years ago at an auction. I think I took home half a dozen hens and 2 roosters. Never had to separate those roos into bachelor's cages, even. They got along with each other their whole lives with hardly a tiff between them. They didn't even give the hens a hard time. You could walk right up to them and pick them up and carry them. Poor things - had they not gone home with me, they'd have ALL ended up in someone's soup kettle (hens included) since that was all I was hearing at the auction. (I think I paid less than ten bucks for the lot of them. The hens laid eggs for another five years. They were pretty young when I brought them home. Now that I think about it, I had two guineas in that lot, too...)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom