Modern Rustic Chicken Coop Design

I didn't use the standard barn siding plywood to cover and finish the exterior in one step which would have saved time and money. This is when I discovered the fence boards and came up with the idea to use that as the siding. Tongue and groove style siding isn't needed since the exterior is already covered with sheeting. Using cedar and treated fence boards was a blessing and a curse. The fence boards are rough cut and the widths do not have great tolerances. They are also thin and warp easily this was definitely a challenge.
IMG_20170910_154306.jpg

I'm debating on staining the exterior to give it a little more protection but the fence boards definitely changed the look of the exterior. There isn't a single nail in this coop. I used construction grade screws for the framing which added to the cost. The screws are much more forgiving then the nails as you can fix several mistakes. As for the design inspiration when I first came up with this design I tried to picture a Chicken coop that might have existed in the early 1900s and "modernized" the coop by removing the trim making it square and adding a shed roof. When the Chicken Run is added it will hopefully start to balance out the rustic side of the Coop buy adding more traditional elements. I may not arrive at my intended theme but so far I'm happy with where its going.

It does not look rustic to me, more Colonial, but very nice. Good job and welcome to BYC!
I totally thought that as well. It would definitely lend itself to that style of a coop. I would be happy if I got close to that as well. The design concept was done in black and white with the exclusion of color. Hopefully the end design will land some where between Colonial and modern Rustic. Rustic Colonial...? The design idea is more of an ideal and not an absolute so I'm sure I will be just as surprised where this thing goes.

Back
Top Bottom