Modifications For Standard Havaharts (save time)

Earlier today I called the company that Lollipop mentioned. The gentleman that answered the phone said the coyote size trap is $225. This trap is considered "oversized", so shipping can be expensive, as in: half the price of the trap or more.

I hung up the phone thinking I might be able to come up with an excuse to travel to Florida before the Summer is over, but now I'm not so sure. It's over 800 miles between Virginia and Okeechobee, Florida. I'd probably spend $200 on gas alone, forget a hotel each way. Maybe that shipping isn't so expensive after all.

Oh, for what it's worth: he said he uses a Bantam rooster for bait. "He doesn't know how to shut up and 'talks' all night long..."

I just picked up one of these at a yard sale today for $5. !
It was still in the box and had only been used for one unsuccessful attempt to catch a groundhog.

Havahart
00ae.png
Large Raccoon Trap model #: 1050
1050_m.jpg

Best Used For:
Ideal for trapping large raccoons, opossums and similar-sized animals. Constructed of sturdy rust-resistant wire mesh with steel reinforcements, these large two door traps allow for safe catches. Dimensions: 42”L x 10”W x 13"H Two spring-loaded doors. Retail $85.93

sgtmom52 wrote: I just picked up one of these at a yard sale today for $5. !

cool.png
Pays to root around, for sure.

Our oldest havahart is going on 13yrs of constant service, a little rust, some bent bars (bullet damage) but even the biggest raccoons haven't done any damage to the trap.

Some folks have posted shots up of traps that were torn up by whatever was trapped (don't know what brand).​

Hit the farmers auction, and swap meets.
My wife worked at a Livestock/ farmers auction and we picked up a old homemade one that a "exterminator" had made and that thing was at least 3 foot high, 3 foot wide and 6 foot long and only payed 20.00 for it. (work like a charm)
We also seen one made out of a 35 gallon steal drum that was real slick...

Chris

Last edited:
Very interesting thread! Just out of curiousity, what do you do if you catch a skunk?? That smell makes me sick to this day, after being sprayed by one about 30 years ago! I know they need to push with their hind legs to spray, and that the spray can shoot up to at least 15 feet. If you set a large trap that they can stand in, do you just shoot them from a longer distance? I have a huge, almost pure white skunk that comes around here every so often, and in the day time. That in itself makes me nervous thinking he may be sick. Haven't seen him in awhile, so hopefully, he went off and died somewhere. I've seen those skunk traps that are inside a pipe-like structure, but would like to get a trap for all types of animals, and besides, those traps weren't cheap! So, how do you get the skunks out of the trap without ending up smelling like one?

Debbi wrote: So, how do you get the skunks out of the trap without ending up smelling like one?

Approach, slowly, during the late morning, when their activity level has dropped off. Cover the trap with some dark fabric. Stand on upwind side of trap, move fabric back with rifle barrel just far enough to get a clean shot. If it sprays, just walk away and bring a hose with a sprayer head and soak down the whole mess until smell dissipates. If it has to be shot immediately, after trapping at night, cover trap, carry trap to area where it can be hosed off. Remove fabric (to stay at distance tie a string to edge of fabric and then pull the cover off by using string). Spray it down with the hose (might want to fire a shot in general direction just to get it to `spray' - finite amount of stink per skunk), keep spraying until smell drops off, walk up and take the shot (add more water if needed). Moving slowly and deliberately will decrease chance of being dosed.

Won't completely kill smell, but that will definitely cut down on the concentrated essence of `ick'.​

Last edited:
Quote:
depending on which side of suffolk you are on I trap the east side ( I was trapping a little down rt 32 going to corapeak) there are a coupla guys who trap the windsor side and one more fella over by bennets creek he and I trap some of the same land. trapping helps a lot reenforcing your runs and pens every chance you get helps a lot it is kina a multi facetted approach seem to work best there are a number of different manufacturers of cage traps sometimes it pays to shop around google willaims, tomohawk, the duke company makes a large less expensive cage trap . wilcox bait and tackle in N.N, handles the duke brand good luck

Quote:
you need to check your trapping laws but I use conibear body grip traps for skunks they usually do not spray every now and then one leaks a little bit

That would not be a good idea in my situation, too many dogs, cats, and deer travel here. Not to mention I have a big fear (respect?) for spring loaded traps, especially after I had a rat trap snap on my hand once! Gawd, I can imagine what one of these would feel like! Not a trapper by any means!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom