Modifications on Producer’s Pride Sentinel (so far)

Becstasy94

Chirping
Mar 22, 2024
Central Florida
Hi everyone! I’ve been making some modifications to this prefab coop and I was hoping I could get some input! We only have four, 3 week old bantams so far and my plan is to beef this up so we have something ready to go and not stress, but also build a bigger coop and run. It sounds like having an area to be able to quarantine or raise young birds is handy, so I would like this coop to last as long as possible. I live in Central Florida so heat and moisture will be my biggest issue. Here’s what I’ve done so far:

Added shingles left over from my roof replacement. I saw reviews that said the roof failed first, so I’m hoping an extra layer of protection helps with longevity. I also extended the edge over the egg box since that seam seems (lol) have an issue with leaking. I will probably put some sort of flexible plastic there to prevent water from pool and sliding into the egg box when the top is opened.
IMG_0619.jpeg

Added ventilation holes to one side and covered the openings with hardware cloth.

IMG_0621.jpeg

I had planned on adding the same windows on the opposite wall under the run, but then I learned about the importance of preventing drafts above the roosts. It’s not going to get “cold” here until next January and I’m sure I’ll have my new coop by then, so is that something I even need to worry about? I know ventilation is very important but I’m unsure of where the best placement is. I plan on enclosing the bottom so could I just leave the coop door open at all times for more ventilation? I could also remove the side doors and cover with hardware cloth, or make more windows, but I worry about our sideways summer rains (chunky soup anyone?)
IMG_0623.jpeg

The run is enclosed in 1/2” hardware cloth on the sides and I plan on lining the bottom with the same. I was going to put the structure up on a pressure treated wood frame with hardware cloth covering the bottom. I then planned on bolting the coop and run onto that.
IMG_0622.jpeg

I am also in the process of adding silicone caulking around where the wood pieces sit in the metal slots since water would have the chance to penetrate and pool in those areas. I will be painting it too once I’m all done with the mods.

So, anything else? If you’ve made it this far, thank you 🙏🏻 and if you got my Family Guy reference, double thank you!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻 my fiancé thinks I’m doing too much but neither of us have done this before and I want even their temporary home to be up to snuff!! TIA 😊

I had planned on adding the same windows on the opposite wall under the run, but then I learned about the importance of preventing drafts above the roosts. It’s not going to get “cold” here until next January and I’m sure I’ll have my new coop by then, so is that something I even need to worry about? I know ventilation is very important but I’m unsure of where the best placement is. I plan on enclosing the bottom so could I just leave the coop door open at all times for more ventilation? I could also remove the side doors and cover with hardware cloth, or make more windows, but I worry about our sideways summer rains (chunky soup anyone?)
How "cold" is cold? I doubt you guys get much below freezing, no? So with that in mind I would consider cutting out most/all of the rectangle immediately under the run roof and replacing with HWC.

If you're going to open up some of the sides (i.e. the side doors) then I'd consider cutting the wood in a single panel, then saving it and top hinging it back over the opening so it can be closed over the door or wall during sideways wind storms. Like so: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-ventilation.1452812/page-2#post-24868607

Another consideration for venting is adding a ridge vent at the peak. This would allow your air to pull in from under your eaves where you already added, follow the roof line and out thru the peak, above your birds.
Hardware cloth covering the inside of course to keep the uninvited, out.
@rosemarythyme has given great advise as well. As always... 🙂

How "cold" is cold? I doubt you guys get much below freezing, no? So with that in mind I would consider cutting out most/all of the rectangle immediately under the run roof and replacing with HWC.
We technically don’t have a frost date but we might have one freeze and nights in the 40’s for a few weeks each winter. IMG_0646.jpeg
I went with your suggestion and added ventilation along that top portion. I also made a big cut out where the door slides open and covered it all with HWC. I plan on making the entire run predator proof and have considered not even closing the coop up at night. Any reason I shouldn’t be leaving the door open at night if predators aren’t the concern?

I think I’ll probably leave the sides intact for now. If I notice that the ventilation that is there isn’t enough, I’ll add more.

I’ve been reading a lot of other posts on coops and see your name pop up a lot so I appreciate you taking the time to add your thoughts to mine!

Another consideration for venting is adding a ridge vent at the peak. This would allow your air to pull in from under your eaves where you already added, follow the roof line and out thru the peak, above your birds.
Hardware cloth covering the inside of course to keep the uninvited, out.
@rosemarythyme has given great advise as well. As always... 🙂
I had considered that but there are metal pieces along the edges of the roof panels. I’d have to cut through those and I worry about losing the integrity of the frame. Now that I’ve opened up the front, I think I might be okay but I’ll keep it in mind as an option in the future if more ventilation is needed. Thank you for your input!!

I had considered that but there are metal pieces along the edges of the roof panels. I’d have to cut through those and I worry about losing the integrity of the frame. Now that I’ve opened up the front, I think I might be okay but I’ll keep it in mind as an option in the future if more ventilation is needed. Thank you for your input!!
Your most welcome and I didn't realize that about the metal so that makes sense. Sounds like you've got enough to cut out elsewhere to keep it ventilated.
Great job... 👍

We technically don’t have a frost date but we might have one freeze and nights in the 40’s for a few weeks each winter.
You should be fine with all that open ventilation then, as far the "cold" concern.
I plan on making the entire run predator proof and have considered not even closing the coop up at night. Any reason I shouldn’t be leaving the door open at night if predators aren’t the concern?
If you feel the unit is predator proofed enough to deal with predators in your area, then closing or locking the pop door is up to you. My run is nowhere near that secure, so coop gets closed up.
I think I’ll probably leave the sides intact for now. If I notice that the ventilation that is there isn’t enough, I’ll add more.
Makes sense. This is already a very good start, considering what you started with out of the box.

I just put this coop/run together. If I put hardware cloth underneath the whole run/coop, would that be enough to keep predators out at night? The pop door on just the coop doesn’t lock, so I am looking for other ways to secure the hens at night. They will be able to free range during the day. Thank you!

I just put this coop/run together. If I put hardware cloth underneath the whole run/coop, would that be enough to keep predators out at night? The pop door on just the coop doesn’t lock, so I am looking for other ways to secure the hens at night. They will be able to free range during the day. Thank you!
Depends on the predators, like a bear can simply knock the whole thing over if it wanted. And the default latches aren't raccoon proof. You're better off aproning around the perimeter than putting HWC under it IMO as chickens would still want to dig around a bit when they're inside the mini run area.

I had planned to do the same thing but I want them to be able to dig in the dirt and I don’t want to run the risk of a foot injury. We ended up lining it with pavers and we use tie wire like twist ties around the locks. It’s only been a week or so that they have been out but so far so good! IMG_0675.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom