Modified Purina Henhouse

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickeninthemeadow, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Chickeninthemeadow

Chickeninthemeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Well, we just started working on our coop. I drew up the plans myself, inspired by the Purina Henhouse (http://poultry.purinamills.com/NUTRITIONMANAGEMENT/HenHouseHutchDesign/default.aspx) but modified to fit the size of our flock and to take advantage of the space they will be kept in.

[​IMG]

We have a shelter attached to a garage (it has 2 walls, we'll be using one of the walls as the back of the coop). I decided to put nesting boxes on both short sides (3 boxes per side) of the 4X8 cause we'll be having around a dozen birds. However, I then saw an open air woods coop and after doing some work in there today, I'm worried about ventilation (cause there was no air moving under the shelter and it was hot). So I may make that side just a giant picture window and possibly double up the nesting space on the other side. The birds will have a large fenced in run, but I'm worried about enough ventilation at night, though, nights are pretty cool even in the heat of the summer here in NC.

Anyway, I'm doing the floor right now (will be lining it with linoleum using furring strips to secure it to the floor), if you have any suggestions for the rest of the building, let me know.

2. Chickeninthemeadow

Mar 24, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We've got a piece of plywood down there now.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Looks good! can't wait to see the finished coop!

4. Chickeninthemeadow

Mar 24, 2011
    Okay, so far today we have made a nice large picture window for the birds. We will be making a cover for it to use in bad weather when/if wind is blowing that direction (which it does occaissionally cause that's why I wanted it there, to help with ventilation. We also got one of the doors done, at least partially, still need to put in my drop door in that door. There is still a lot to do, but for now, we're taking a break.

[​IMG]

5. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    very nice
    keep us posted with more pics as you go
    love it

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Making good progress. [​IMG]

7. Chickeninthemeadow

Mar 24, 2011
    got more word done! still need to do 1 more pop up door, the cover for that giant picture window, the back wall, and the roof!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    plan to use a bungy to keep this closed better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by