Mods, PLEASE LOCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAT!!! you mean my friend Ranchies in trouble........... let me at em let me at em.......

Angus really concerned that his friend is scared...........

Anguscute001.jpg

Now which one first................
Anguscute011.jpg

The bigger the better....don't scare me!
Anguscute012.jpg

OK Ranchie... I got them all for ya!... come on out.......
Anguscute010.jpg

Ok this is rather unrelated, but that second picture is really cool! Almost abstract and black and white. I would blow it up, frame it, and put it on my wall. Very nice shot.
smile.png
I really think the vultures were just taking a break and became fascinated with the odd woman who kept yelling, running away, and coming back. Animals have a sense of humor, too. You were keeping them entertained!

There is something dead nearby. (whether you can see it or not)

No worries, they are taking a break from gorging themselves.

Quote:
Here in the wild west. . . (north of Phx, AZ) I have ocassionally seen groups of vultures gathered. . . . kinda spooky looking, for sure, but all it means is that there is a dead animal nearby. . . .(last time I saw this, it was a cow), could, of course, be something much smaller. . . .
As unappealing as it may be, we would all be buried in dead bodies if the scavenger animals did not perform this valuable "clean up" service for us. . . .
Have you hugged a vulture today?
cool.png

So I have a great story from a good friend of the family....

Here in KY we have them all over, and Candy had some that would roost on her barn in the sun. It never really bothered her.
She woke up one day that happened to be her 50th birthday. She got up, stretched, walked downstairs and past her big glass double doors that open out to her wooden deck. There roosting--- right on her porch!--- were about 10 turkey vultures staring in her window!
ep.gif
Talk about an omen!

Really, what you really need to worry about is startling them. Their only defense is to puke up roadkill all over the place.
sickbyc.gif
Then you will really smell dead. lol

It is safe to come out?
hide.gif

The worst part is that they like to hang out and sun not only here but also in the front of a funeral home just 1/2 a mile from here. Now THAT'S eerie!

14937_up_close_personal_with_a_buzzard.jpg

14937_img_1999_3.jpg

I'm going back under my chair now.

Great pics Ranchhand! I had a friend in high school who went out in a field and laid down to see if buzzards would gather. He gave up after an hour or so, so we never found out. Another friend wanted to go get something dead to put near him so it'd stink, but that didn't happen either.... gee I wonder why!

Buzzards are no strangers here, I live quite near Hinkley, Ohio, where the buzzards return every year in a migration pattern that has gone on for probably centuries. The town has made it an event, and it's pretty fun, in a macabre sort of way. The townspeople either embrace it and have a real blast with the whole thing, or board themselves in their homes because of all the festival goers who decend on the place.

They're really Turkey Vultures, but Buzzards sound so much better to carry on about I guess. Ya gotta admit "Buzzard Day" does sound better than "Turkey Vulture Day" sort of... I guess. After gathering along Hinkley Ridge for a few weeks actually, the big birds dispurse to other parts of Ohio, including our neighborhood!

http://medinagazette.northcoastnow.com/2009/10/08/coexisting-with-the-buzzards/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom