Mold on eggshell??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by speeps76, Dec 11, 2015.

1. speeps76

speeps76 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    North Carolina
    I just opened a carton of eggs and many of them have what looks like a white fuzzy mold on them. They are probably a month old. They are from our girls, and I don't wash the eggs before storing. Of course, any that have poo on them are washed and used - I don't store them. I usually store eggs on the countertop, but when they were laying like crazy, there were too many, and I thought they would last longer in the fridge. (They were stored in a new plastic egg container.)

1. Should I just assume the fuzzy eggs are bad and throw them out?
    2. How do I prevent it from happening again?

2. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    The plastic likely allowed condensation to settle in giving moisture to the bacteria to grow. Even in refrigeration bacteria can still grow just a lot more slowly. Switch to paper cartons. You can reuse old ones begged for and borrowed from family/friends or purchase some extras (I get mine from TSC). Also you can just place them in a bowl in the fridge. I use empty ice cream containers. They are plastic but I don't put the lids on them so air can circulate and keep the eggs dry.

1. Should I just assume the fuzzy eggs are bad and throw them out?
    Wash them off and crack in a separate bowl to check and see if they are ok. If not toss them.

2. How do I prevent it from happening again?
    Explained above

Hope this helped [​IMG]

3. speeps76

speeps76 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    North Carolina
    Yes, that helped. [​IMG] Thank you! I do have paper cartons. I'll switch to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by