Mold on eggshell??

speeps76

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 7, 2012
North Carolina
I just opened a carton of eggs and many of them have what looks like a white fuzzy mold on them. They are probably a month old. They are from our girls, and I don't wash the eggs before storing. Of course, any that have poo on them are washed and used - I don't store them. I usually store eggs on the countertop, but when they were laying like crazy, there were too many, and I thought they would last longer in the fridge. (They were stored in a new plastic egg container.)

1. Should I just assume the fuzzy eggs are bad and throw them out?
2. How do I prevent it from happening again?

The plastic likely allowed condensation to settle in giving moisture to the bacteria to grow. Even in refrigeration bacteria can still grow just a lot more slowly. Switch to paper cartons. You can reuse old ones begged for and borrowed from family/friends or purchase some extras (I get mine from TSC). Also you can just place them in a bowl in the fridge. I use empty ice cream containers. They are plastic but I don't put the lids on them so air can circulate and keep the eggs dry.

1. Should I just assume the fuzzy eggs are bad and throw them out?
Wash them off and crack in a separate bowl to check and see if they are ok. If not toss them.

2. How do I prevent it from happening again?
Explained above

Hope this helped
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom