Sponsored Post Molt: Optimize Feather Regrowth with Proper Nutrition

I have my first flock of 12 girls. They are almost 6 months old and laying GREAT. Molting is one thing I am dreading. One big question I have, since I am reading that they usually molt in the fall/early winter, is don't they need a jacket? How do they stay warm without their feathers?

i have 3 year old hen and has not went in molt.
hmm.png

This was very helpful! our chickens have always had a hard time when they molt. and when they start molting it is like an immediate slow down in the egg producing.

I think that it slows down the laying process because losing their feathers stresses them out a lot. and chickens have a hard time laying eggs when they are stressed out. I usually go to the feed store and buy a flock block for them so it keeps them busy and helps them with their nutrition.

I have my first flock of 12 girls. They are almost 6 months old and laying GREAT. Molting is one thing I am dreading. One big question I have, since I am reading that they usually molt in the fall/early winter, is don't they need a jacket? How do they stay warm without their feathers?
Generally when the days begin to shorten, they will start to molt, and yours probably won't molt this fall. By the time the weather is very cold, they will have regrown feathers, and they should be fine without any added heat enhancers.

I have found feather fixer at Roxbury farm and garden, located in Fredericksburg Va. Purchased 2 forty pound bags at 14 something each. I will let everyone know how well it works in a month or so. I have several birds that have had feather troubles all summer, started with mites then just kept pecking themselves out of habit. Then the molt hit and now they are pitiful looking. If this helps I will be amazed.

I have found feather fixer at Roxbury farm and garden, located in Fredericksburg Va. Purchased 2 forty pound bags at 14 something each. I will let everyone know how well it works in a month or so. I have several birds that have had feather troubles all summer, started with mites then just kept pecking themselves out of habit. Then the molt hit and now they are pitiful looking. If this helps I will be amazed.
Hope it will help. Be sure to post.

There are cupons at Nutrena for $2 off on a bag 40# - I guess it comes in 5# bags too.

Back
Top Bottom