Molt or mites?

All her feather except the neck look like down feathers. You sure it’s not a partial molt? All the other girls her age have the some down being raised up and falling out. You may be right. But I’ve seen him. Definitely doesn’t have any balance. But she won’t let him mate with her very often. Maybe once a day or every two days.

All her feather except the neck look like down feathers. You sure it’s not a partial molt? All the other girls her age have the some down being raised up and falling out. You may be right. But I’ve seen him. Definitely doesn’t have any balance. But she won’t let him mate with her very often. Maybe once a day or every two days.
How much time do you spend with your chickens to know when and how many times he mates with her? It is over in a matter of 10 seconds. You cannot monitor them that closely to say that it only happens once a day or every other day. It may be happening in the coop before you let them out. I often find that cockerels will nail them when they jump down off the roost to feed first thing in the morning.
He will almost certainly be the cause of all of the girls down showing damage. Cockerels are incredibly virile and driven by their hormones. Most have surges in the morning and towards roosting time at night but may not be so bad through the day.

I prefer the permethrin. Sevin dust is not now approved for poultry, and I have noticed that lice seem to be unphased by it. But I would confirm lice or mites before treating though.

How much time do you spend with your chickens to know when and how many times he mates with her? It is over in a matter of 10 seconds. You cannot monitor them that closely to say that it only happens once a day or every other day. It may be happening in the coop before you let them out. I often find that cockerels will nail them when they jump down off the roost to feed first thing in the morning.
He will almost certainly be the cause of all of the girls down showing damage. Cockerels are incredibly virile and driven by their hormones. Most have surges in the morning and towards roosting time at night but may not be so bad through the day.
That’s true, ok I think i was just hopeful that her feather would grow back soon. Or should I say I was in denial. Dang ok, you think I need to separate the cockerel or the single hen?

Last edited:
Even if it's mites the feathers won't grow back until after molt :(

I agree that I would not treat for mites/lice until I was sure that's what I was dealing with. There are some good articles with photos in the learning center on BYC that should help you figure that out.

Ok so Lenard is separated. So everything I read about quarantining is to have him in sight. So it’s easier to reintegrate when her feathers are back. Curious question. How long will they sit and stare at him through the fence? It’s raining and they are looking at him in lockup. He is in the yard but in a aerate see through covered pin.

I bought some saddles for them, for just in case. The one is bareback. Just missing some feathers. If It looks like she starting to get sunburned, I’ll put it on her.

Side note, they look stylish.... but boy do they hate they. I took it off when I saw it was gonna rain all day.
Lenard chased the one down. He was either doing one of two things
1) being like my wife’s father... “Get over here and let me take that god**** thing off you! You look stupid”
2) or just antagonizing her

Back
Top Bottom