Molt or mites?

Dr.GarryTTucker

Songster
5 Years
May 1, 2018
Southeast Texas
wondering if this is molt or if it’s mites? Or what it could be?
455A6252-2464-4436-AB6D-FECFF21D159B.jpeg
2C0F9B63-39FA-490B-8F72-DBE9B07FC739.jpeg
DAFB1C8C-B4B1-401F-B802-554C8B44C60C.jpeg
110CC676-4740-42F5-8BD4-21F80D7E289D.jpeg
78C61955-72F2-456D-9ECC-4022D2BD29BB.jpeg
DCEA8494-9885-40A3-862E-D57E87EE7E41.jpeg

These are the feathers she is loosing

image.jpg

Cockerels are a pain, especially when raised with pullets the same age and no older birds to keep them in line and teach them some manners. He will be all hormones and no technique and it leads to this sort of damage to the pullets. This particular pullet may be targeted by him more than others because she is bigger and therefore slower to get out of his way or lower in the pecking order.... basically it is probably easier for him to grab and mate her than the others, so she is getting the brunt of his amorous attentions.

It could be feather picking or molting. DE will not treat a mite or lice infestation. If you see live lice or mites, or their eggs, use a pemethrin product liquid spray or garden dust.

It looks more like broken/damaged feathers, and the worst spot looks to be above the base of the tail. These two things make me think it's the work of your cockerel or a bully hen. If it was molting you'd see new pin feathers growing in and you wouldn't have those raw spots on the skin.

You could check the coop for mites after dark or check around the vent and under the wings, but I don't think you have a mite problem.

They can sometimes sustain nasty gashes under their wings with such a cockerel caused by their nails when they slip because they have not learned to balance whilst mating or the pullet is trying desperately to get away instead of squatting and submitting to him. Best to remove young males for a few months in such a situation until the pullets have matured more and his hormones have settled down a bit. The broken feathers will not be replaced until she moults nest autumn/fall so don't expect her to look better anytime soon and it will get worse if he is left in with them to continue this behaviour. I am sure if you spend some time watching your flock you will see that he is the problem.

All her feather except the neck look like down feathers. You sure it’s not a partial molt? All the other girls her age have the some down being raised up and falling out. You may be right. But I’ve seen him. Definitely doesn’t have any balance. But she won’t let him mate with her very often. Maybe once a day or every two days.
How much time do you spend with your chickens to know when and how many times he mates with her? It is over in a matter of 10 seconds. You cannot monitor them that closely to say that it only happens once a day or every other day. It may be happening in the coop before you let them out. I often find that cockerels will nail them when they jump down off the roost to feed first thing in the morning.
He will almost certainly be the cause of all of the girls down showing damage. Cockerels are incredibly virile and driven by their hormones. Most have surges in the morning and towards roosting time at night but may not be so bad through the day.

Even if it's mites the feathers won't grow back until after molt :(

I agree that I would not treat for mites/lice until I was sure that's what I was dealing with. There are some good articles with photos in the learning center on BYC that should help you figure that out.

Back
Top Bottom