Molting and the cold

3dogcp

Chirping
10 Years
May 1, 2013
One of my chickens is having a hard molt,lost a lot of feathers and you can see a lot of skin. She seems very cold, stayed in coop hunched over and standing on one foot. I made her a sweater and was wondering if I leave it on will it interfere with the growth of her new feathers. It's going to be in the low 20's the next week at night.

It is amazing how chickens seem to tolerate cold weather. I wouldn't think the sweater would be necessary, but I wouldn't think it would affect the new feathers. As long as she has a couple to sleep next to, and has a wide 2x3 roost to keep her feet warm at night she should do fine. I have a banty that molted in Feb last year and she did fine.

I love so much that you made your chicken a sweater.

I popped in to find the answer to my question about chickens molting in the cold weather. I have one that's very suddenly dropped her tail assembly and other major feather tracts and was worried that she would be cold without half of her down comforter. She doesn't seem cold though, so I don't think I'm going to add supplemental heat to the coop.
Here is LaFonda showing off her goods to the world.

Harriet in her sweater, a little too small. I made a bigger one and will try it on tomorrow. Lost all her tail feathers. she looks so funny.

Ok, that's a fabulous sweater. Harriet is werkin it!

My husband may leave me if I make clothing for my chicks, but I think I'm gonna have to. LaFonda lost a lot more feathers over the course of today and is very bald. I am surprised her wings give her enough oomph for her to get up onto her perch to sleep.

Thanks, Lots of ideas on line for sweaters. Wasn't easy to get it on her,lol I would suggest making one that has buttons or Velcro. We'll see how the bigger on is to get on, if I can catch her.

One of my chickens is going through a hard molt too... lost all the feathers on her breast, and a lot of them around her vent. We've been bringing her inside the garage for the past couple nights where it is a little warmer. I'd like to make her a sweater too... how did everyone else make theirs?

Back
Top Bottom