Molting chicken trying to poop

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
My 2 year old chicken, Rizo, is having some problems.

She’s been molting so i shrugged off her weird behavior as part of that, however i know now that something else is going on.
Every now and then for the past few days, she’s been pooping a tiny bit, then trying to poop for a few minutes after (how their bottom feathers open up and she’s slightly leaned to get it out.) but then nothing comes.
But now, she pooped about the size of a dime, now she is trying to poop, and nothing is coming out.
Its 47 here with windchill, turning winter. I was going to give her a warm water soak but wasn’t sure if it was worth the trouble to have to dry her feathers to be completely dry before she goes back out. Should i do a warm water soak? Give her anything? Not sure. Thanks for your help in advance!

Do you have photos of her and her poop?

See that she's drinking really well and eating. Check to make sure her crop is emptying.

You can give her some coconut oil twice a day to see if that helps get things moving too, but you want to see that she's staying hydrated.

Do you have photos of her and her poop?

See that she's drinking really well and eating. Check to make sure her crop is emptying.

You can give her some coconut oil twice a day to see if that helps get things moving too, but you want to see that she's staying hydrated.
Photos of her, yes. Photos of her poop, no.
Her poop looks normal though.

I’ll make sure she eats and drinks enough.
9FA5CCFE-B422-4F5D-BF72-C9B5902770BC.jpeg
My most recent photo (Taken yesterday or so)
Only difference is she lost some back feathers and vent feathers, and a lot others. But everything else is the same other then feather loss.

There was a post here a couple of months back where a chicken owner gave her hen a couple of Epsom salt baths and it helped the hen poop a huge pile! Hen was better after that. Since it's cold you will need to dry her completely.

See if coconut oil works first, keep an eye and make sure she has cecal poo.

Hopefully she's doing a little better.

I'd raise that water station up, put it on a block, brick or piece of wood to raise it up off the floor so it doesn't get clogged with bedding. That way you don't have to change/clean it several times a day to ensure they have full time access to water.
Thanks! Good idea, will do that.

There was a post here a couple of months back where a chicken owner gave her hen a couple of Epsom salt baths and it helped the hen poop a huge pile! Hen was better after that. Since it's cold you will need to dry her completely.

See if coconut oil works first, keep an eye and make sure she has cecal poo.
I think i will have to try that.. How much Epsom salt do i add to water? (Like a ratio)

She isn’t doing that great, she tried pooping and after 5 minutes the only bit that came out was less then a dime size..

Will it be okay to do a bath for her even though she lost a bunch of feathers and has many large skin spots? (from her molt) just wondering if it could irritate her skin

She doesn’t seem any better overall. She isn’t eating/drinking as much as she normally would, or as much as anyone else for sure.

Normally, by the time shes in bed, she has a bigger more full crop then anyone. She goes nuts over any food, to.

But now, her crop is a lot smaller and squishier, and she isn’t eating much, and is very picky about what she eats (which is not like her at all)

Update: she pooped a big one! Slightly bigger then a normal poop. Unfortunately i didn’t take a picture, but it had a lot of stuff in it, and it was liquidy. Some grass was in there for sure. I think this is a good sign, so i’ll wait to do a soak.

She pooped another one, small, but liquid. (Not as small as before though! Just smaller then a normal poop.)

Anyway, im super happy. She seems still a bit off, but if she still seems bad and isn’t eating here soon, i’ll give her a soak.

Back
Top Bottom