Molting during the winter?

MD Chicken chic

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Maryland
I went out to the coop today, and my RIR's feathers were all over the coop. I was concerned that she might have been attacked. But, when I examined her, it appears that she is molting. It is 20 degrees outside right now with a cold wind! Do chickens molt during winter? I'm just worried that she'll freeze! If she is molting, anything I can do to speed up the process? Funny thing is that I still had an egg from her today in the nestbox.

She'll be fine.

And yes, this is normal timing for a molting bird. From fall to winter is when they normally molt. I've got a ton right now in molt and plenty more to go. . . Which of course is also stopping egg production, but in the end allows for a "beauty" to pop out again.

Ok, thanks, guys! I'm a newbie here, and this is my second winter with chickens. I had two molt last October, so it was warmer, and one started this October and finished up before the cold hit. So, I had never seen it happen when it was cold like it is now and did not know if that was normal.

But, on a happier note, my Ameraucana just started laying again after going broody for most of the summer and into the fall and then molting in the fall! Yay for colorful eggs again!

Back
Top Bottom