Molting early? 8/9 months old

Gwhite3678

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
New Hampshire
Hi everyone, this is my first flock of chickens I got them early spring so thinking they are about 8 months old about. I noticed yesterday that one was looking worse for the wear, she is loosing feathers and comb looks a bit pale. She is eating drinking normally but is a bit more skittish than normal and is no longer laying eggs. There is only 1 other chicken in my flock of 10 that is starting to look similar and also no longer laying. I think they are both Easter eggers.
I thought they first start molting
97D2CBCD-C3AD-4998-9E08-F60913DA63B2.jpeg
6E25EC5C-41C0-43E0-BD4B-00A9625E05E4.jpeg
532192ED-E0AD-4EAF-890F-1E158171EC97.jpeg
much older so I’m concerned it could be something else. I don’t see evidence of any parasites mites ect and I’m thinking all the chickens would be effected if that were the case?
If they are molting getting into winter should I be concerned?? Coop is unheated with no electricity out to it. I attached some pics for reference
Thank you in advance!!

Hi everyone, this is my first flock of chickens I got them early spring so thinking they are about 8 months old about. I noticed yesterday that one was looking worse for the wear, she is loosing feathers and comb looks a bit pale. She is eating drinking normally but is a bit more skittish than normal and is no longer laying eggs. There is only 1 other chicken in my flock of 10 that is starting to look similar and also no longer laying. I think they are both Easter eggers.
I thought they first start molting View attachment 3345115View attachment 3345116View attachment 3345117much older so I’m concerned it could be something else. I don’t see evidence of any parasites mites ect and I’m thinking all the chickens would be effected if that were the case?
If they are molting getting into winter should I be concerned?? Coop is unheated with no electricity out to it. I attached some pics for reference
Thank you in advance!!
It looks like they are molting their pullet feathers :thumbsup

She is molting. It will most likely be a partial molt - birds that molt when it is colder generally refeather quickly. You may want to provide some protein supplementation.

The first adult molt generally happens at ~18 months of age or so, around their second fall or winter. However, it's uncommon, but not unheard of for pullets to have their first full adult molt in their first winter. I've had it happen here a couple times. Just make sure they have plenty of food and water, solid shelter, and maybe the occasional high-protein treat to give them a boost, and they'll be fine. 🙂 They shouldn't need any heating or anything.

Mine are 10 months. Only one showing signs on her chest and under one wing. No pin feathers showing yet and no lice or redness. I picked her up today and noticed that she's really bald under there! I guess they fall out pretty quickly?

Back
Top Bottom