molting for over a month?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phaethona, Sep 27, 2011.

1. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    Hi, I haven't been on here in a while(had internet cut out of the budget) anyhow, I am completely stumped as to why my 9 hens give me one egg a day-on a good day. I've been down the list of things that halt laying, and the best conclusion I can draw is that they are molting, they've been losing feathers and growing new ones for a while now, but It's been probably 2 months since they've been productive. This should be their most prolific year, they are 1.5 years old. Their lighting schedule hasn't changed, diet, routine all the same, no one's broody right now. I just don't get it. How long are they supposed to molt for? [​IMG]

2. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    although I have not experienced the moult myself yet, I have read that it takes around 2 months, sometimes even 3 or 4 depending on the circumstances. Some say you can feed them extra protein to help speed up the process. here is a great article I found on the subject:

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/27_2709.htm

Hope this helps!

3. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Please note that in the article top of the hill provided, the months of the seasons are reversed due to the article being Australian.

4. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:Orchid, thanks I hadn't even noticed that!

5. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:Yes this is normal and BTY, the light is changing, we are in fall now, the long days of summer are over (unless you are usig artificial light). [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Most of mine don't start back laying for 3 months. So yes, it's normal.

7. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:Orchid, thanks I hadn't even noticed that!

No problem! I started reading and got rather confused - then I looked at the top and it said Queensland. It was an a-ha! moment. [​IMG]

8. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chillin' With My Peeps

We had a couple girls molt earlier this year I thought the molt happens in spring, but I am wrong. Now the other ¾ of the flock is molting including our roosters. I have one hen she dropped so many feathers she looked like a raggedy porcupine. We are averaging about 6 eggs per day from 24 laying hens. Been giving them B.O.S.S. Black Oil Sunflower Seeds since early spring for treats in morning when I let them out of coop in morning. The BOSS will help provide additional protein during the molt. However I’m sure they are getting plenty of protein by eating all the Stink Bugs they can chase down. They gobble those vial bugs down like gourmet treats from heaven.

9. heatherscreations1969

heatherscreations1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    Derbyshire UK
    Ok I am confused after reading about "the moult"....I thought one of my 1.5 yr hen was moulting because she looks raggedy (she also has a bare bum) but she is still laying an egg every day....she's not ill because she has such a lot of energy (double the energy of the other 2 hens...even more than myself)......there's no mites and the others aren't pecking her.....

Have I got an unusual hen? The information on that site about the moult doesn't mention anything about losing feathers around the bum area.

10. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Some of my hens that are molting still produce eggs, however not sure if it is daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by