molting help

audreyjo

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Hello all, I have buff orpingtons who are 1.5 years old, they are molting for the first time and have not layed an egg in weeks. How long will I have to buy eggs from the store? blech...lol Also, what do you all do with all the feathers, my backyard is covered! Compost? Thanks!

It's going to take a month or more yet before they will start laying well again. Plus there is less daylight now to help with egg production. I have a flock of Light Brahmas I have not gotten a single egg from now for almost 2 months!!! They use all their energy re-growing new feathers and that means no energy for egg laying. Giving them extra protein sometimes helps, this means boil eggs or scrambled eggs back to them, canned cat food or moisted dry cat food once in awhile, canned tuna anything with extra protein. Sometimes I even give mine pond fish food pellets.....

The feathers just blow in the wind!! lol I rake and put mine in with the chicken litter compost!

haha thanks, feathers on my neighbors lawn is funny for me, I don't know about them.....I guess I will just have to wait it out. Thanks for the great info.

Back
Top Bottom