Molting hen with runny green poop! Help please!

HuffleClaw

Sudden Reptile Fanatic
5 Years
Jul 8, 2018
Alabama
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She is a single combed (largefowl) Splash Laced Red Wyandotte. She does not seem any lighter than the others.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is acting lethargic and letting her wings droop. Floppy comb and her eyes just say to me that she’s not feeling well.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Today is the first time I’ve noticed it
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, not at all. Just her. She is usually my most active hen but not today... :(
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No, she is molting but not injured
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I actually have no idea
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Layer feed w/ occasional scratch. She drinks water with ice. And today she’s been wanting SO much water, but no food.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Very runny and green
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
N/A
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
No nearby chicken vets. So if I can help, I will.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I will attach some below
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine shavings and dirt floor...

Pictures are from just minutes ago.
D451796E-818B-400E-9537-5B0E74D8E8D4.jpeg
602A57CE-8960-4F7A-B99E-029ADAE6CC12.jpeg
DC450148-AB1D-441F-A569-B468024CC791.jpeg

Poor thing. How does her crop feel? Molting is very hard in some chickens, and it can be a time when they might have less immunity to common illnesses. They can be more aloof, eat less, and dislike being handled. Can you try bringing her aside and feeding some cottage cheese, or a mixture of cooked rice with some buttermilk which might help firm up her droppings. Probiotics may be helpful. Cooked egg, tuna, or liver are other good high protein sources for an occasional treat, but try to mostly feed her chicken feed as her main ration. If you can get her droppings checked for worms or coccidiosis, that might help. Here is a fecal test that you can order from Amazon and other stores online:
https://www.statelinetack.com/item/...wNongwV7YSkl3qoQSNuunlDr1D4pDnnwaAt2cEALw_wcB

Poor thing. How does her crop feel? Molting is very hard in some chickens, and it can be a time when they might have less immunity to common illnesses. They can be more aloof, eat less, and dislike being handled. Can you try bringing her aside and feeding some cottage cheese, or a mixture of cooked rice with some buttermilk which might help firm up her droppings. Probiotics may be helpful. Cooked egg, tuna, or liver are other good high protein sources for an occasional treat, but try to mostly feed her chicken feed as her main ration. If you can get her droppings checked for worms or coccidiosis, that might help. Here is a fecal test that you can order from Amazon and other stores online:
https://www.statelinetack.com/item/...wNongwV7YSkl3qoQSNuunlDr1D4pDnnwaAt2cEALw_wcB
I’ll have to go catch her and will feel her crop momentarily. I will certainly try to get her to eat some cooked eggs.

Thank you!

A squishy crop can just be from it slowing down, but also can be from a sour crop disorder. I have noticed a puffy crop in some inactive birds or broodies, but I would smell her breath, and check it again first thing in the morning. Do not try to make her vomit, as that is very dangerous. Here is some reading about crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

Back
Top Bottom