Molting or feather pulling?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Xavi3r, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Xavi3r

Xavi3r New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    I have three rescue chicken, so i have no information on how old they are. Within the last few days, one of them has starting losing feathers all over the coop. It's the middle of winter, so based off of everything I'v read, this isn't a time chickens would molt, but if it were mites the other chickens would likely be affected too, right? It's mostly the feathers from under her wings that she's been losing, but her neck has some quil? (I'm not sure the term) things coming through between feathers, which is what led me to think it's molting.

Any information/thoughts would be great, also, if it is molting- will he chicken be fine outside in the middle of winter without all it's feathers?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it's molting. The feathers will grow in pretty quickly, so she should be fine. (though you didn't state your location or how many other birds are in the coop)

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Molting. It can happen at any time of year, but is most common in fall. Looks like she's a light molter, so she'll probably be fine. Increase her protein intake to get those feathers grown in as quickly as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by