1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting or problem?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TomGallopavo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. TomGallopavo

TomGallopavo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Hillbillyville, MO
    I can't find any bugs on her, she is about 9 months old and none of her sibs are losing feathers...

[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Two of my girls hatched at the end of Feb./beginning of March are molting while one has not. I'd always read that chickens would not molt their first year, and that was true of my original flock (although they'd been summer hatchlings). So it's certainly possible (and likely) that your girl is just molting. [​IMG]

eta - just took a closer look at your girl (didn't realize I could make your pic larger). She's def. molting.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I would also agree she is molting, our girls are also 9 months and several went into molt over the past few weeks and one looks similar to yours, no neck feathers and just plain scraggly in other places. I tend to believe is has to do with climate also, but not 100% just an opinion from our flock this year.

4. TomGallopavo

TomGallopavo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Hillbillyville, MO
    Thanks guys, that's what I thought...we have 14 chickens and she is the only one, just wanted to make sure!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, she's molting.

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Not all things are alike and she is colder than the others and need more down to keep her warm. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by