Molting or rough roo?

Fallen Leaf Farm

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
A couple of my 11 month old BO have lost a lot of feathers on their backs. Is it too early for them to be molting? Is the roo playing rough? If it's the roo, what do I do?

Hope this works....this is the worst one, down to bare skin in some places

81609_012.jpg

81609_011.jpg

Last edited:
So is there anyway to stop Nugget from hurting his girls other than the chicken saddles? Over the winter the group has been a little more confined (8 birds in a 8x12' horse stall in the barn, but turned loose inside the barn during the day), so would that contribute to Nugget's behavior? If I use the saddles, do the girls wear them 24/7? Thanks for taking the time to teach the newbie!

Quote:
Other than seperating him, saddles are the only solution I know of. You could try trimming his nails and spurs, but some roos just don't fit together well with some hens.
They'd wear them 24/7, at least for a while. My saddle-wearing girls (two of them now) really don't mind their saddles.

Last edited:
I've found when a roo takes an overinterest in a specific hen, there's really no stopping him. I've heard the saddles work but I haven't tried them, when I had a roo the hen was actually hiding from, we just butchered him. No chicken stalkers allowed!

Back
Top Bottom