Molting or worse??? ☹️

Hnowlin12

Chirping
Jul 12, 2021
Hi everyone!

I am turning into a paranoid chicken mom….I have noticed our baby seramas (we just received them on Thursday) pulling at their feathers, itching, and pulling their chest fluff.

they are eating and drinking and still acting normal! Just get into itchy spells.
I tried my best to search the squirmy little ones and didn’t see any signs of mites or lice…and will keep checking.

i know seramas grow feathers fairly fast, ours are already having lots of feathers…but I’m not sure what to do to help!

advice or ideas???

Pics of them cause they are too cute :)

Attachments

• CE7DE668-BC12-440B-86F3-81C758CE9658.jpeg
    CE7DE668-BC12-440B-86F3-81C758CE9658.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 37
  • BDB5F24A-7083-4732-99D3-C27D7BC1BEA3.jpeg
    BDB5F24A-7083-4732-99D3-C27D7BC1BEA3.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 14C35650-47E8-4007-BF50-E49854D3ADCC.jpeg
    14C35650-47E8-4007-BF50-E49854D3ADCC.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi everyone!

I am turning into a paranoid chicken mom….I have noticed our baby seramas (we just received them on Thursday) pulling at their feathers, itching, and pulling their chest fluff.

they are eating and drinking and still acting normal! Just get into itchy spells.
I tried my best to search the squirmy little ones and didn’t see any signs of mites or lice…and will keep checking.

i know seramas grow feathers fairly fast, ours are already having lots of feathers…but I’m not sure what to do to help!

advice or ideas???

Not sure what they have, but they are not molting. Chickens get their first molt much later, when they are about 1 years old

Hi everyone!

advice or ideas???

What do you use as bedding?

Puppy pads, and we had sprinkled bits of pine shavings in there, but we took them out yesterday when we noticed the itching. Now it’s just puppy pads
Growing feathers can be quite itchy. Itching does increase abit with those that are rapid to feather.

I'm pretty sure what you see as fluff pulling, may actually be them removing down tufts off the pin feather tips during the preening process.

:welcome :frow Chicks molt several times during their first year. Yours are too young and still have their down and it appears starting to get their wing feathers. If you are paranoid, put some poultry dust in their nest. It won't hurt them. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom