molting/protein?

I have a hen that is a severe molt for a very long time. How long can it last?
I've seen anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. Protein is important, but they also need fattening material to make up for the decreased amount of body fat which hens lack at the end of a laying season (usually Fall). Since they will likely be thin , body fat used up, and pigment gone, we need to get all this replaced to bring the bird into plump, healthy condition, and with the excess or store of fat which can be drawn upon the next production year. That means when the hen stops production they may be fed more heavily on grain but that they also need crumbles/pellets.

I also find it very beneficial to supplement water with a good quality vitamin,mineral, and probiotic powder during moult. Especially for the hard moulters.

I don't feed commercial? I feed them one of the best on the market.

http://www.greenmountainfeeds.com/

http://www.greenmountainfeeds.com/products/poultry/organic-layer-pellets/

I was feeding them the Non-GMO's during the summer, which does have less protien, but the tofu made up the difference in the proteins. Now because of winter I put them back on the layer pellets, which is still organic but not necessarily GMO free.
Do you buy non GMO Tofu???

By 2012, 88 percent of corn (maize) and 94 percent of soy grown in the United States were genetically modified, according to the US Department of Agriculture.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-06-gmo-corn-soybeans-dominate.html#jCp

I had a big problem with plucked feathers, I started feeding that Feather Fixer feed and the results are amazing,, the feathers are all coming in nicely. I am going to continue feeding that feed even after their feathers come back. There was an article about the feed earlier this month on this forum, good read.

I switched my girls to a new product by Nutrena called Feather Fixer. It is designed to be fed during molt with pre and pro biotics and increased protein. Been feeding for a couple weeks and can really see an improvement! I also give them other protein treats but you have to be careful! Adding too much protein can throw the calcium/protein equation out of balance and cause problems if your girls are still laying or will delay them re-starting.

Sunflower kernals are great for molters but also add omega 3s to eggs and are healthier than corn for warming up cold chickies in the morning. I buy a large bag (10 lb) of shelled kernals at tractor supply for $9. I toss a handful in their pen at night when they are sleeping for a small flock of 10 bantams. They wake up happy. They don't like shelling them so kernals only.

It's not cheap but, then, I only have a couple of molting birds. I pick up a big jar of dried mealworms at tractor supply as well as a bag of mixed seeds and other goodies. There are 2 kinds; harvest delight and ? delight, I can't remember exactly. They contain lots of sunflower and other seeds as well as some other goodies. I mix them together and use them a couple of times a day as treats. They give a boost of protein and the chickens go nuts over them. I also smash up hard boiled eggs for them.

Back
Top Bottom