molting/protein?

In regards to the Alfalfa being feed to horses. Alfalfa is considered a Hot food and will make a horse very sick. I used to have and show horses, they only got perhaps two handfuls each day when in heavy training. I refused to keep mine in a locked stall unless the fly's were bad, bad weather(Severe) and hard to keep weight on. When the season was over they just got the grass hay or Timothy hay plus oats. During the winter I then restarted the Alfalfa with some corn for added heat an fat. All year long they got Knox unflavored Gelotin to help with sore muscles and joints. I have had as many as10 horses at one time here on the farm. Alfalfa if given very sparingly is safe to feed to the horses. It also depends on what your pasture is feeding your horses and what ground the alfalfa grew on. Each parcel of land can be very different on the same farm.

I prefer to use shavings for all my bedding and nest boxes. When I used straw / hay I had a bad out break of mites and lice. Plus they just wanted to sleep in the boxes as well. I have 4 inch boards in front of each box. I keep at least 2" of Pine shavings at any one time.

Back
Top Bottom