molting/protein?

there's a new tofu called Black Bean tofu, and it has about 30% protein in it. A block costs about 2.19 usually located at the produce section of the grocery store. I hadn't thought of flax seed, but that costs way more than tofu. I did buy a bag of mixed beans so maybe I'll boil those up and give them to them, but I noticed they had GMO's in them, so I haven't used them. I don't like the idea of using catfood or meats. I have organic birds and also they are GMO free and I am trying to find the best of both worlds here. I suppose I could do some sort of fish, but would have to go to the market and figure that out. Their organic feed is about 17% protein. I also feed them Kale as a source of Calcium and Vitamin C

Your layer ration is on the low side for protein, IMO. I'd find some high-protein treat to feed them all the time, not just during moult. It takes a lot of protein to make an egg.

Why no meat? It's not like your birds are vegetarians. You could use organic meats.

there's a new tofu called Black Bean tofu, and it has about 30% protein in it. A block costs about 2.19 usually located at the produce section of the grocery store. I hadn't thought of flax seed, but that costs way more than tofu. I did buy a bag of mixed beans so maybe I'll boil those up and give them to them, but I noticed they had GMO's in them, so I haven't used them. I don't like the idea of using catfood or meats. I have organic birds and also they are GMO free and I am trying to find the best of both worlds here. I suppose I could do some sort of fish, but would have to go to the market and figure that out. Their organic feed is about 17% protein. I also feed them Kale as a source of Calcium and Vitamin C
If you are referring to Nasoya, a black soybean tofu, it is still only 9.4% protein (one 85g portion has 8g of protein). Are you looking at the DV? That's still only 16%. As far as costs:

1 12 oz Nasoya cost $2.19
12 oz = 336g
each block has 31.6g of protein
each g of protein costs $.07

Sunflower seeds are about 30% protein
Cost is about $2.50/# in the bird section of your petstore. Cheaper when bought at the feed store.
1# of BOSS has 136g of protein (454x.30)
Each g of protein costs $ .018

Flax seeds are about 21% protein
Animal grade flax runs me $36/50# bag at the feed store.
1# costs me $.72
Each g of protein costs $.008
If you buy human grade flaxseed your costs are $2.25/# (Costco has ground organic flax for $9/4#) and your costs will be $.024 per g or still one third the cost of Nasoya.

Fish will be in the 26% range. You can give them a can of tuna, sardines or trimmings from a meal.

Animal grade roasted soybeans are still cheaper (lower cost plus higher protein) but you will not find one that is non GMO.

I know we're not talking a huge $$ savings based on the quantity that is fed but your tofu is still lower in protein than the layer feed so you are in essence pulling down the overall protein content by feeding the tofu. You need to be looking for something higher than the 17%.

Last edited:
I'm with Walking. Chickens are not vegetarians, far from it!

You can add protein into your birds diets in any number of ways. All the ones listed above, as well as fish meal (don't use too much or the eggs will taste fishy!) catfish pellets (typically sold at feed stores), fish based dry cat food (my personal favorite) or some 30% Turkey starter mixed into your regular ration.

I'm with Walking. Chickens are not vegetarians, far from it!

You can add protein into your birds diets in any number of ways. All the ones listed above, as well as fish meal (don't use too much or the eggs will taste fishy!) catfish pellets (typically sold at feed stores), fish based dry cat food (my personal favorite) or some 30% Turkey starter mixed into your regular ration.
I've used turkey, game bird, meat bird, or starter grower ration mixed half with the layer ration, and noticed general improvement during the moult. Fish based cat food seems fine. I'd just watch out for other ingredients like too high of a sodium content. I've fed no-salt tuna on occasion and they seem to prefer that over cat kibble. For the hard moulters, I've used the two products mentioned in my previous post and it helped them very much.

I've used turkey, game bird, meat bird, or starter grower ration mixed half with the layer ration, and noticed general improvement during the moult. Fish based cat food seems fine. I'd just watch out for other ingredients like too high of a sodium content. I've fed no-salt tuna on occasion and they seem to prefer that over cat kibble. For the hard moulters, I've used the two products mentioned in my previous post and it helped them very much.
Too much sodium can indeed be a problem, good point!

Sunflower seeds are about 30% protein

Cost is about $2.50/# in the bird section of your petstore. Cheaper when bought at the feed store.

1# of BOSS has 136g of protein (454x.30)

Each g of protein costs $ .018

Percheron, I am trying to wrap my head around the idea that sunflower seeds are 30% protein. Do you mean hulled? My research is showing that unhulled, they're only about 17% protein.

Thanks,

Laura

That value (28.4% actually) came from NRC Horse Feeding Requirements textbook. The error is that it is the dry matter value which would inflate the %.
I must need more coffee, LOL.

Do you mean feeding them WITH the shell increases the protein percentage? Please bear with my insufficiently caffeinated brain.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom