Molting question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Juliebanning, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Juliebanning

Juliebanning Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2013
    North Carolina
    I have a 1 1/2 year old partridge rock that mooted about 2 months ago she then stopped and started laying again now she has stopped laying and appears to be molting again. These are my first chickens and I'm not sure if this is normal.[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Look up or google how to force molt a chicken and see if something happened to cause this. The hen on the right looks like she has mites, and/or worms.

3. Juliebanning

Dec 24, 2013
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]This is what she looked like the first time she molted the first picture in the first post is what she looked like a month later and the second one is now. The feathers are growing back. I can't think of any stresses or changes. She and one other bird are doing this the other is not as bad and seems to only be losing feathers I don't thinks she lost the first time.

4. Juliebanning

Dec 24, 2013
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]This is what she looked like the first time she molted the first picture in the first post is what she looked like a month later and the second one is now. The feathers are growing back. I can't think of any stresses or changes. She and one other bird are doing this the other is not as bad and seems to only be losing feathers I don't thinks she lost the first time.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

The first molt might have been a partial molt. Your hen is completing her cycle now that her egg production has dropped to the the shorter days. While a molting hen can look pitiful as long as I don't see blood, scabs or too much skin, I don't get worried so long as new feathers are coming in.. I usually add a bit more protein to the diet such as Calf Manna. Although now a company is producing a product specifically for the molting flock. I think it's call Feather-Fixer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jamesphelps

jamesphelps Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2015
    Nice birds

7. chicks2love

chicks2love Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Franklin County, NC
    I feed my hens the Nutrena Feather Fixer feed when they are molting and it seems to speed up replacement feathers. It is 18% protein (versus 16% layer feed) which really helps during molt.

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    When they cut up the deer, I make little sandwhich bags of culled meat scraps. These I freeze together in a big freezer bag. Then every so often, I throw one out to the flock. Especially when their feathers are coming back in. My coming two year old birds are finally looking like they might live. The one with white feathers is mostly white again, after being nearly bald!

MRs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by