Molting Question

boisebirdhouse7

Chirping
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Hereford, Arizona
My New Hampshire Red hen has gone through a hard molt. She looks much better has many new feathers and still alot of pin feathers to open. The last few days she has started going to the coop and act like she is going to lay.
I noticed yesterday that she layed what I would call an incomplete egg. Yolk in the box and the what looked like shell, very soft.
Talked with DH and he tells me he saw this a few days ago also, wasn't sure what t was so he did not mention it.
I have given her layer feed and fed her protein daily.
Am I missing something? Or is this normal?

Thanks for any assistance - Amy

Since she is just starting to lay after a period of not laying, her first eggs might not be quite perfect. It might take a few days for her egg laying system to get used to laying eggs again.

Layer feed should be providing her with enough calcium. However, some hens sometimes need extra calcium. Providing them with some crushed oyster shell is a good idea. If you don't have/can't get oystershell, try baking some egg shells and then grinding them up. A coffee grinder works quite well for this.

Thank you for the replies.I have oyster shell in her crumble. And she has been getting cottage cheese or yogurt as an extra treat.
She had a rough time with this molt. And I have also feeding ground up shell back into her food.Anything else that I can do to assist her thru?
I certainly hope this passes soon.

Thank you for the replies.I have oyster shell in her crumble. And she has been getting cottage cheese or yogurt as an extra treat.
She had a rough time with this molt. And I have also feeding ground up shell back into her food.Anything else that I can do to assist her thru?
I certainly hope this passes soon.

To help her grow in her feathers, you can try feeding her some high-protein foods. See if she would like some scrambled eggs, or some wet cat food.

This year I've been supplementing with Omega Ultra Egg, and my birds seem to have had an easier time molting than ever before. Maybe it's just coincidence, but I'm going to keep giving it. And by "easier" I mean feathers seem to be coming in more quickly, and the birds don't seem as unhappy. In the past I've had some hens stagger/stumble and look really tired during the molt, as if molting was sapping the energy out of them. Anyone else use this? Here is what it is:
http://www.omegafields.com/poultry-products/omega-ultra-egg.html

I've read that cat food is too salty for chickens. Not true?

Back
Top Bottom