Molting

Edin

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2020
I am in my first year of chickens and I’m wondering what to expect this fall. My chicks are 11 weeks old and doing well. Can I expect them to molt in there first year? If so when? Is it likely if they start laying in August/September that they will continue through fall or take a break. They are a mixed flock wellsummer, lavender orphington, blue Cochin, Americauna, and a barred rock rooster who all live together in one coop.

It is highly unlikely that 11 week old chicks at the end of July will molt before next fall.
What you can expect is a delay in onset of lay since they will reach POL well after summer solstice when daily light period is decreasing rather dramatically. I wouldn't expect eggs before October, if then.
What you can do is be prepared to add light to the coop. around October 1. Start the light a half hour before dawn and increase the light period by having the light come on a half hour earlier each week. Wait till you start incrementing light before you switch to layer feed. Or better yet, since you have a rooster, don't switch and just provide oyster shell in a separate ccontainer.

Back
Top Bottom