molting!?

penny11

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 15, 2011
from what ive heard chickens are not supposed to molt in july!?mine seem to be!!!! can anyone give me any info on molting and why they they might be.ive got two leghorn chickens,had them for two weeks now and they seem very happy (i had an egg on the 1st day) i normally get an egg a day now i seem to get one every other!!any suggestions??
smile.png

Quote:
If your still getting eggs they are not molting or in heavy molt--I have some that are in and have been on heavy molt for a while:( Have you checked for external parasites on them? what are you feeding them?

im feeding them layers pellets and most afternoons i give them some mixed corn!! and they are pecking around in the garden eating what ever they find!i checked them over when we first got them,ill have another check.thanks for your help.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Feed sounds great...also new chickens get stressed from moving to a new place and even though they laid for you at first ( because those eggs were already in the making within them) they might slow down for a few more weeks to adjust:)

You don't say that they are losing feathers..... Are they?

It's not at all uncommon for hens to stop laying completely after a move to a new home. The change seems to be a shock to their systems somehow. They start back up once they get settled in.

As far as molting in summer, I have one hen who does that every year. She's starting to molt now. Feathers everywhere! I've never worried about it. She's a broody hen, so it doesn't affect her egglaying. She's raising babies, not laying eggs. Anyway, that's just her normal cycle. She'll be gorgeous in autumn when the rest of the girls start to look ragged.

Edit: We were typing at the same time.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom