Two year old chickens have not molted.

nan4848

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Des Moines, IA
My entire small flock of four 2yr olds have yet to molt. Am getting an average of 3 eggs per day. I live in Iowa.
Is this normal?
I have kept chickens for 10 years and have never had a chicken not molt.

I too have a couple that I don't believe have molted and they are at least two years old. I've read that they can skip a molt so I figured that's what at least one of them did. I also have one that has been in a 6-month-long molt.

Sometimes molting can be so subtle that our hens might have molted without us even knowing it, although they don't usually lay eggs during a molt.

Do you do supplemental lighting in your coop though? I've heard that can occasionally not allow them to molt.

I too have a couple that I don't believe have molted and they are at least two years old. I've read that they can skip a molt so I figured that's what at least one of them did. I also have one that has been in a 6-month-long molt.

Sometimes molting can be so subtle that our hens might have molted without us even knowing it, although they don't usually lay eggs during a molt.

Do you do supplemental lighting in your coop though? I've heard that can occasionally not allow them to molt.
I don't provide any supplemental light or heat. I had thought maybe it was a light molt, but all 4 hens? and still laying at least 5 eggs each per week?
All other chickens I've had the last 10 years have molted October or November with one that molted in December.
This is a new one on me.

Some breeds have 'mini-molts' that you may not notice. Since yours is two years old expect a major molt when the days get shorter.

Some breeds have 'mini-molts' that you may not notice. Since yours is two years old expect a major molt when the days get shorter.
The days here have started lengthening on the 21st of December.
I'm not a new chicken keeper. In the past I've had as many as 13 at a time. Different breeds and all molted, either heavily or light molts.

Back
Top Bottom