Molting?

ErinsFlock

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Kittanning, Pa
Sorry if this is on the wrong board, I posted on the disease, injury board but no answer yet. We got our already laying hens in May. I did look up photos of molting chickens but I am still not sure. Our Australorp had lice that were treated multiple times and are have been gone for awhile. She had feather loss
In her rear area because if the lice and her picking at them. The feather loss is getting bad, I have been checking for lice or mites but I can't find anything. I am not positive how old she is but I think about a year old. Can someone tell me what this looks like?

Not sure if this is relevant or not but she also had dried poop caked around her vent. I bathed her and got it all off, I also sprayed blu-kote on her behind because it is looking a bit red.

Oh I'm so sorry :-( is she laying? Eating? Some of mine have lost their feathers in the back too, no mites or anything, took to vet and she said it's common for layers and it's molting season soon. So it could be a combination? I hope she perks up tho

awww,sorry she is sick,best wishes,sound's like you are doing the best you can,i;m new so i don't have any helpful advice
hugs.gif
i hope you get some from the emergencie thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I'm so sorry :-( is she laying? Eating? Some of mine have lost their feathers in the back too, no mites or anything, took to vet and she said it's common for layers and it's molting season soon. So it could be a combination? I hope she perks up tho
She is eating and drinking. The last egg she layed was a week ago. Yesterday she wanted to be in the coop all day and last night she tried to sleep in the nesting box. I put her on the roost and she settled in. We did just move them to their new coop and last night was only the second night in that coop. I feel like we have so many factors going on! We are leaving for a week on Saturday, although our fantastic neighbors are going to take care of our chickens, I am nervous to leave her like this.

Last edited:
awww,sorry she is sick,best wishes,sound's like you are doing the best you can,i;m new so i don't have any helpful advice :hugs i hope you get some from the emergencie thread!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you. This is the only thing I do not like about having animals, they can't just tell me how they feel!

Back
Top Bottom