Mom duck chasing new babies away from her

outdoorbunny

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
Culpeper, Virginia
My call duck hatched 11 babies two days ago. I just peeked in on them and saw her pecking and chase the little ones away when they tried to lay close to her. Now I’m worried. I turned on the heat lamp for the babies so they can stay warm. But does this mean she’s not a good mom? So far she hasn’t hurt them. I’m not sure what to do.

Should I separate the Mom from the babies?

There is another call duck in the same house hatching eggs right now. The first Mom’s babies tried to get close to her and she attacked them. I understand that since her eggs are hatching but I wonder how she will be with them once her babies arrive.

I’m new to ducks and really need help!

I had a Hen that sat the eggs and once hatched she was scared of the Ducklings..
Sometimes you can raise Ducklings with two Mommas that have hatched. I would separate the new Momma and her Ducklings and see how she behaves with them.
Today she might be on Momma mode?...First time Mommas don't always make the right decisions.

Well this morning all babies were accounted for and the #2 mom is still on her nest hatching her eggs. I have a day job so it’s frustrating that I can’t observe them until tonight. I have limited room for separating them since I separated the Drakes from them. Right now the moms and babies are in an 8x10 house locked in with a small swimming tub that the little ones can play in.

Do you think the moms will do better with the babies if they roamed out side? Or will she just ignore them more?

First of all I would take anything that holds water that the ducklings might could drown in. can you divide the house into 2 sections so each mama has her own space. At least till you know for sure both mamas are going to take care of their own lil ones. Sometimes mamas can be pretty aggressive towards another mamas ducklings.

I used 1/4 inch wire cloth and built a wide ramp that goes up, over and down to the opposite edge of the tub so no matter how low the water gets they can get out. The tub is only 1 1/2 inches deep. I wanted to give Mom a place to bath too.
I was thinking about dividing the house in two. I think that’s what I’ll do. Hopefully #1 Mom is treating her babies better.
I raise chickens so I was surprised on how the duck is reacting to her little ones.

I lost a duckling in a cat litter pan with a way in and out so I am very jumpy about water and tiny ducklings. That's great you have fixed it so they are safe. Please keep us updated on how it all goes.

I have noticed with some of my females they aren't as attentive as others with their ducklings, hope your finding everything going good when you see them today.

Back
Top Bottom