Monarc23--late hatching question??

calgal98

Songster
13 Years
Mar 23, 2009
California, central area
The very last of my coturnix are arriving. I'm finding that they are not as vigorous as yesterdays chicks. Is this to do with being on day 19? They appear to have more difficulty getting their legs under them. Should I just take them out of the bator at this point and consider them (eggs) done? or will they generally make up the difference in a couple of hours? Thanks much!!

being stuck in the egg for 19 days will normally make thier legs cramp. if that was me I'd take them out and bend their toes (if they are curled) gently. They'll probably cry a bit but this is how I get hteir legs staight again. It doesnt break them or damage toes just makes them more flexable. I do that for atleast three times a day per chick until I see improovment. I've never had a chick never get better from it. so im sure you'll be fine!
smile.png
They were just stuck in there for some reason i assume
smile.png

and yes the other eggs may very well be dead but no reason not o keep them in there a lil longer OR take them out and delicately open the air cell blunt end and see if a chick has pipped hte membrane if it has put it back in the bator and it'll hatch when ready
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks. There are about 20 eggs that haven't pipped/hatched. I just figured they weren't going to make it. I'll give them another day to hatch. Thanks for the help! Vicki

Quote:
I don't really agree with that. If thta's the case I have many i've helped because of humidity issues and what not that are happily breeding and producing nice eggs and chicks.
smile.png
More often than not its the incubators fault not the chicks.

I've helped several chickens and button quail hatch that grew up to lay eggs. I still have several chickens I completely helped out of their shell and there's nothing wrong with them. Sometimes for various reasons a healthy chick just doesn't accomplish it on their own.

Well, I pulled the hatcher out and listened to the eggs. Three were still pipping. The rest of the eggs I did eggtopsy on and about half had died before pipping. The rest were rotten eggs that I just couldn't see through well enough to I.D. before putting into the hatcher. One of the three has hatched. I'm waiting to see if the final two will go. Most of the dead chicks seemed either dehydrated a bit (dry embryo) or more wet like they had died around the time of transfer. My first incubation is truely a learning experience. I'm over-all very pleased with a hatch that has produced nearly 150 chicks. A great start to a breeding/egg/eating program for our family. Thanks all of you. All the bits of information add up to give a better idea of what is going on. Its all good.
old.gif

Quote:
I don't really agree with that. If thta's the case I have many i've helped because of humidity issues and what not that are happily breeding and producing nice eggs and chicks.
smile.png
More often than not its the incubators fault not the chicks.

well maybe quail are togher like that. most of the birds i have taken the time to let out of an egg were wild turkeys.with quail i have always been able to put enough eggs in that if a few couldnt make it out no biggie they went into the weeds with the rest of the duds weather they were talking or not.....but i can see why you color breeders would make the extra effort you never know what that mystery bird could be.....
big_smile.png

i hatched some quails on tusday and one of the chicks had curled up feet like you described Calgal. I had him in the brooder for 2 days and this morning i noticed that its feet had straightened out by itself. This can rectify itself.

I've had some hatch late and had to help them and sometimes their feet straighten out and sometimes they don't. I've got a few 3 week olds right now with crooked feet but they really are ok.

Note: I normally don't like to help and usually agree with tbone but this time I let them go and we'll see how they do.

Back
Top Bottom