Monster field rat tried to break in

RJSchaefer

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Rockford, IL
The oldest spawn and I went out to check on the birds. On our way out, I felt my foot hit something. I kicked a rat that was trying to get in through a tiny opening under the door. It then decided to switch gears and run past us, which is when my foot got it. It scurried to a safe distance and just sat there, waiting for us to leave so it could have a nice buffet.

This was the biggest field rat I've ever seen. At first I thought it was a small possum, from the shape, then noticed the coat color. I need to start carrying the rifle with me at night. The Man had his .22 mag on him, and it took 5 rounds to get the critter to stop kicking.

And I thought the little field mice that moved into the house were bad. Bleh!

Good on you! I've got a tomcat that I raised on a bottle when he was only 3 weeks old that's exceptionally NOT interested in our birds, but he LOVES to drag the field rats and mice to our porch and deck every morning to show us he's earning his keep. As long as he's doing his job and leaving the birds alone, he'll not meet an untimely end. I'm not scared of mice or rats, but I cannot STAND them. Living in a valley full of livestock and hay fields, we've had our fair share get in the basement over the winter. I let the tomcat come in to do his thing and he left me a nice pile of mice corpses in the laundry room floor the very next morning. He got 7 in one night, then another 3 the next. He's proven invaluable. When the chickens are out in their pasture, he just walks right past them and doesn't even look at them. Good boy...keep on walkin'
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom