Pics
It sounds like you’ve given this inhumane relocation subject a more nuanced look :thumbsup

I should point out that I didn’t intend to single you out or suggest that you specifically said “always” , etc. I was speaking more generally about the subject and the way that it is “preached” about... your posts just presented the opportunity for me to goof on the relocation topic in general ;)

I’m not familiar with the “calcium rooster kidney” thing, but I bet we could come up with a list of similar things that are repeated on BYC that are of that ilk....

....things that get accepted and repeated without nuance by some folks that mean well... but are often “speaking at” someone they consider ill informed or uninformed... rather than “speaking with” that someone to first understand what they know and/or think.

It often comes down to the difference between “earned knowledge” which comes from experience... and “unearned knowledge”, which comes from reading something or being told of something...

Experience or “Earned knowledge” tells us what we know, what we don’t know, and what we thought we knew....

“Unearned knowledge” tells us what someone else knows or thinks they know, or of their experience ... it is often misapplied or stripped of nuance because without actual experience to compare it to, there is often no way to really understand the thing being repeated...

There are a lot of folks on BYC that are sharing their earned knowledge, gained from experience... and it makes this site worth the visit...

But there are also a lot of folks on BYC handing others unearned knowledge.... likely without even realizing that they might be misapplying, misstating, or just over simplifying the things they are attempting to inform others about.

In any case BYC has it all in this regard! ;)
It’s easy to tell the people who are blowing smoke. There’s a bunch.

It sounds like you’ve given this inhumane relocation subject a more nuanced look :thumbsup

I should point out that I didn’t intend to single you out or suggest that you specifically said “always” , etc. I was speaking more generally about the subject and the way that it is “preached” about... your posts just presented the opportunity for me to goof on the relocation topic in general ;)

I’m not familiar with the “calcium rooster kidney” thing, but I bet we could come up with a list of similar things that are repeated on BYC that are of that ilk....

....things that get accepted and repeated without nuance by some folks that mean well... but are often “speaking at” someone they consider ill informed or uninformed... rather than “speaking with” that someone to first understand what they know and/or think.

It often comes down to the difference between “earned knowledge” which comes from experience... and “unearned knowledge”, which comes from reading something or being told of something...

Experience or “Earned knowledge” tells us what we know, what we don’t know, and what we thought we knew....

“Unearned knowledge” tells us what someone else knows or thinks they know, or of their experience ... it is often misapplied or stripped of nuance because without actual experience to compare it to, there is often no way to really understand the thing being repeated...

There are a lot of folks on BYC that are sharing their earned knowledge, gained from experience... and it makes this site worth the visit...

But there are also a lot of folks on BYC handing others unearned knowledge.... likely without even realizing that they might be misapplying, misstating, or just over simplifying the things they are attempting to inform others about.

In any case BYC has it all in this regard! ;)
We should start a "common misconceptions" thread......

Back
Top Bottom