Monstera Deliciosa

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
I wasn’t sure if this went in gardening or not… since this is a house plant. But does anyone else grow these plants? Mine is growing out of its pot and growing air roots. I know they do that in their natural habitat but I also read I should re-pot it when it does this. Anyone know?
1F8E8BD6-A4F6-4A59-A704-FFF56DC88071.jpeg
F13C75A4-9CB4-43C5-B752-2A783D7834C4.jpeg
C92DDC9E-0FC9-4802-88F0-CA259D714995.jpeg

I wasn’t sure if this went in gardening or not… since this is a house plant. But does anyone else grow these plants? Mine is growing out of its pot and growing air roots. I know they do that in their natural habitat but I also read I should re-pot it when it does this. Anyone know?
View attachment 2942537View attachment 2942538View attachment 2942541
I do! I'll post a pic of mine in a bit. Love em! Yours is beautiful. No need to repot, but if you want to propagate another one you could break that off and stick it in water.

I do! I'll post a pic of mine in a bit. Love em! Yours is beautiful. No need to repot, but if you want to propagate another one you could break that off and stick it in water.
Thank you. Would sticking it in dirt work too? I’d love to propagate this if I can. I have two already but a third doesn’t hurt. I think I got the two I have off Craigslist for like $35. It was a steal I couldn’t pass up. When I got them a year ago they were half this size. They grow fast with very little care.

That's not much of a pot. I would re-pot it in something larger and stand the plant more upright so that part hanging over the edge is sending it's roots down into the pot. You will probably want to turn the plant around then too. To get nice clean leaves you have to keep it growing vigorously.

Last edited:
That's not much of a pot. I would re-pot it in something larger and stand the plant more upright so that part hanging over the edge is sending it's roots down into the pot. You will probably want to turn the plant around then too. To get nice clean leaves you have to keep it growing vigorously.
I agree it is a small pot. The plant was much smaller when I put it in there actually. I’m not sure what you mean by clean leaves. Monsteras are supposed to have holes in them. At least that’s what I’ve read. I’ve only been growing them for a year or so, so I’m by no means an expert.

Thank you. Would sticking it in dirt work too? I’d love to propagate this if I can. I have two already but a third doesn’t hurt. I think I got the two I have off Craigslist for like $35. It was a steal I couldn’t pass up. When I got them a year ago they were half this size. They grow fast with very little care.
You can, but ime it works better to let roots develop in water then stick those in dirt.

I agree it is a small pot. The plant was much smaller when I put it in there actually. I’m not sure what you mean by clean leaves. Monsteras are supposed to have holes in them. At least that’s what I’ve read. I’ve only been growing them for a year or so, so I’m by no means an expert.
Yes, they have holes. We cut them for the florists and they do not want any blemish or tears from insect damage or wind damage.

You can, but ime it works better to let roots develop in water then stick those in dirt.
I’ve never had good luck when I propagate succulents that way. But they might be different than the monstera roots. I know succulents develop water roots and need to be slowly transitioned to dirt. Would it be the same with this?
Yes, they have holes. We cut them for the florists and they do not want any blemish or tears from insect damage or wind damage.
I see. The damage on my monsteras come from moving it too much. They spend the spring and summer outside then come inside for the fall and winter. So the leaves get damaged in the move. It happens to the five foot agave I have too.

I see. The damage on my monsteras come from moving it too much. They spend the spring and summer outside then come inside for the fall and winter. So the leaves get damaged in the move. It happens to the five foot agave I have too.
Here's some that have grown up into a mago tree. They are very ragged from wind damage.
monstera.jpg

Back
Top Bottom