Montana

Scovies- Nope! 7/26 is day 35, though!! 1 more week :) 12 are going strong!

And the ones in the bator are due to hatch 8/3. 2 of those are still going :)

Chickens- I have 2 Buckeyes, 2 Marans, and 7 F1 OEs in lock down now, the Silkies in the bator are due to hatch on 8/2.

I'm doing the July Mystery Egg Swap and just got 12 unknown banty eggs and have another box coming tomorrow, looks like :)

Oh and I have 2 dozen more shipping tomorrow... dunno where I'm going to fit all these eggies :)

wow that's a lot of hatching, do you not have a broody hen to do all your hatchlings? I'm still dealing with broodys here, got 2 out of two chickens at moms broody lol, and 2 out of nine chickens over here broody. Everyone wants to brood
I can not wait to see your duckies and chicks! Be sure to post pictures please !

Last edited:
My Scovy hen is broody on her 12 eggs... the rest are in the bators because I've only had one Marans hen go broody this year. Everyone else is behaving :) I only have 11 hens and I really need them laying for my egg customers. I'm done incubating my own eggs for the year, that's for sure! Now I'm bringing in new breeds/lines.

Both Buckeyes hatched, but one wasn't right :( It died. The other is doing well, though. 3 OEs are out, and 2 more working on it, and a Marans. others are pipped.

I have 8 girls and a rooster baby who has to go soon, I really need the eggs also, darn broodys. Im going to need more Astrolorps next year, I find they are the best layers around. my lorps have not missed many day in a year. they are amazing layers. my buffs are also 4/6 days a week. how many chickens will you have when they all hatch out? and the ducks, wow sounds like a lot of ducks lol, for eating ? My mother loves duck, but man to buy one at the store is expensive! I bought her a duck and a fresh turkey last year, made her thanksgiving for sure. of the 8 girls of mine, only 4 are laying, the others are not quit laying yet, and 1 of those is a baby. ( 11 weeks old) I can not wait until I get all 9 eggs.
I have been giving my neighbors a dozen eggs when I get a full carton, they are so happy and they do not seem to mind my hobby.

Last edited:
Well out of 11, had the one Buckeye with an unsealed umbilicus and one OE (odd, oval shaped egg- just wanted to see) that couldn't turn to internally pip, 9 healthy chicks. 3 OEs went to a lady with a broody Buff Orpington a few miles away, and the other six are down in the brooder.

My hens are doing okay at laying. None are broody, but one Marans is thinking about it.

The ducks are for pest control and yes, we will eat the males. I'm going to trade out some of my ducklings from this brood with a friend for some different lines/colors. I think daughter/father breeding isn't to be a goal around here! Even for meat boys. Muscovies are delish, I hear- less greasy than other breeds? We'll see :)

I have some plans for these roo chicks that are maturing out to a nice fryer size already. It's sad to eat them because they're coming out so darned pretty... but this is the way. If I can't use them, I eat them... or the dogs do.

Anyone want to do a chickenstock around Missoula? Or is there ever one?

Sounds like you have been busy ! What is an Oes chicken? I'm not to up on my breeds lol. I have 2 girls broody, what a pain in the butt. I dipped them again today and blocked off the nest boxes for the night, there a pain in the butt. I can not have any more then what I got, me thinks next spring there going to the table. One goes broody every time I break it, which takes me weeks, then bam she is back at it 2 weeks later. Now the other buff. I'm going to have either one of them lay on eggs next spring and raise me several chicks and then I'm going to cull them. I get very few eggs from them when they go broody it's weeks before I get any again. I love my astrolorps, they lay like mad and are good birds. Finally my pullets are cming up to lay. Getting redder waddles and comb. I should get all for of them laying with in a few more weeks. Good luck on your babies, show pictures if you can, love little ducks!

Well we went and picked up some hay yesterday and the weather around here was fun in the evening! Dry lightning is never a welcomed sight when the foliage starts to dry up.

How is everyone else doing?

Does anyone else have horrible flies this year? These houseflies are driving me crazy...
Im not seeing any, but the camping over the last several days we got bit by several. I hate those darn big biting flies. round the house we seem to be doing great, not even having to hang a fly bag.
Well we went and picked up some hay yesterday and the weather around here was fun in the evening! Dry lightning is never a welcomed sight when the foliage starts to dry up.

How is everyone else doing?
we were up to flint creek camp ground and there was plenty of lightning and some light rain, it did cool things off a bit, doing great as im trying to recoup my old body since sleeping on the ground about killed my poor aching old body.

Im not seeing any, but the camping over the last several days we got bit by several. I hate those darn big biting flies. round the house we seem to be doing great, not even having to hang a fly bag.
we were up to flint creek camp ground and there was plenty of lightning and some light rain, it did cool things off a bit, doing great as im trying to recoup my old body since sleeping on the ground about killed my poor aching old body.
We went Huckleberry picking yesterday morning- man the deer flies were on us like white on rice. I hope you recoup quickly from your camping adventures. I don't know where Flint Creek is, but it sounds nice :)

Does anyone else have horrible flies this year? These houseflies are driving me crazy...
Yes, moths, too! Seems like someone sent up a homing beacon for the buggers around my house. Of course, they fly juuuuuust high enough to avoid my chooks. Figures.

Back
Top Bottom